Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ask lord of the mark

go ahead, ask whatever, maybe i'll answer
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Ok, I'll give it a try - has the Argentinians a legal claim on "Las Malvinas" ?

Edit : as a curiosity, then the Argentinians uses the newly repossession of "Ungdomshuset" in Copenhagen as an argument to their right to the islands.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

are old people who play video dozens of video and console games emotionally and intellectually immature?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
        Ok, I'll give it a try - has the Argentinians a legal claim on "Las Malvinas" ?
        Oy. I remember when the Arg invasion happened. Reaction - Geez, two CIVILIZED countries, and they like have to go fight each other(you have to remember how narrow that category looked from the vantage point of the US, in 1982. The Commies were on the march, the Iranians had just finished humiliating us, and the world looked to be coming apart at the seams)? Over a buncha rocks?

I dont really recall the legal issues in any depth. Given the nature of the regime in Arg at the time, and our need to be loyal to our NATO ally, I supported our policy of supporting the UK. But I certainly had some sympathy for the Argentinian cause - iirc there claims didnt seem to come out of whole cloth. But IMHO, the best way to settle this is peacefully, possibly through some monetary arrangement. Not that Arg has much money at the moment. And yeah, I think we made a mistake not bailing them out in 2001. Not that I agree that the crisis was entirely the IMFs fault, but it wasnt entirely the Args fault, and it served to further alienate them from the West.
        Last edited by lord of the mark; April 7, 2007, 00:21.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
          are old people who play video dozens of video and console games emotionally and intellectually immature?
          Old people?

Adults who play games that are childish show at least one sign of not being mature (though there may be other reasons to play them, like nostalgia) I dont think a 60 year old who plays, say Pokemon, is more immature than a 25 yo who does, though. Is a 60 YO who plays games popular among 25 YO's immature? I wouldnt think so. Though I cant do well at any game that requires quick reflexes, and im not even 50. I think what you get best at with age is judgement, esp of humans and social situations. And AIs cant model that. But maybe a mature 50 YO could pawn in an MP strat game. I dont play MP cause of time conflicts.

Id also say anyone of any age who plays games to the exclusion of real life social interactions has "issues" whatever their age.

Comment

Very vauge - please explain the connection between the eviction of the youths in "ungdomshuset" and the Argentinian claim on the islands.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Very vauge - please explain the connection between the eviction of the youths in "ungdomshuset" and the Argentinian claim on the islands.
              the connection - er one was a dispute over property, whose ownership was clear under Danish law. And the other was a dispute over sovereignty, whose ownership was disputed under international law. So not really any connection at all? Are you claiming the Args as squatters after their invasion? Or the brits as squatters since 1830?

In any case, i gave you my personal reaction. I didnt think the point of threads like this was to engage in a multipost flamewar. Though if i have not clarified my position, feel free to rephrase your question.
              Last edited by lord of the mark; April 7, 2007, 00:32.

Comment

How long will rah leave this thread open?
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  Or the brits as squatters since 1830?
                  That is the Args claim.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                    Well, as long as you don't post babe pics with visible nipples, it probably will survive

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                      As long as we engage in a proper mix of serious discussion and banter, I would think.

Comment

That is the Args claim.
                        Indeed, and the IIRC the whole history of the islands from their discovery upto that point is fairly tangled. Which is why Id have to review it to make a judgement, and I dont see the issue as salient enough to even do that research. at least for now.

Comment

who killed jfk? and rabin? and arafat?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                            who killed jfk? and rabin? and arafat?
                            1. A magic bullet. Really, I had a pal in High School who gave me every conspiracy theory. I read the Warren commmision report (or parts of it) to respond. I knew the angle the bullet had hit Connally. I knew how dogs react when hit in the head by a bullet. I wasnt convinced by the consp theory then, and Im not now. (BTW, after being a Manhattan leftie, this fellow went on to make aliyah, met and married a Jewish woman from Rhodesia he met in Israel, moved to London and back to NYC with her, and then she died. We've lost touch - I think hes back in London)
                            2. A youth in a knit kippah, Im afraid. I had THAT argument over on USENET with a kinda scary Orthodox American Israeli. I wasnt convinced by the conspiracy theory then, and Im not now. The modern Orthodox dati-Leumi have never really fully dealt with the implications, IMHO. But then they have other issues now.
                            3. Well, there you have me. He died of illness in the lousy conditions he was living in. Which the IDF contributed do, but given that it was a virtual state of war, I dont blame them. I dont think Suha did it.

Comment

Are you really a rabbi?
                              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                              X