No announcement yet.

Hydrogen car in 2010! And its a rotary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked on hydrogen storage devices about 7 or 8 years ago as an undergrad research assistant. Hydrogen in a tank was as good as it's really gotten. We were trying nanocrystalline materials which would absorb hydrogen under high pressure and then release it under low pressure.

I don't know where things went after I left...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm all for a just-in-time hydrogen supply infrastructure for industrially used fuel cells. Households and mobile applications can wait.

Comment

I agree with Ecthy

and, rotary makes sense... why there aren't more rotary engines I have no idea
        Monkey!!!

Comment

rotary engines

are gas guzzlers
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

they are actually highly efficient if you don't require torque
            Monkey!!!

Comment

So have the solved the problem that it costs more energy to isolate hydrogen than is saved by using it?
              Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

There isn't infinite ****ing hydro capacity. Certainly not infinite economically viable hydro capacity.
                Nuke! Nuke! Nuke!

It's about time Saskatchewan got a boom.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Don't forget wide-spread Fusion by 2050
                  I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                    So have the solved the problem that it costs more energy to isolate hydrogen than is saved by using it?
                    The hydrogen economy is for energy distribution so what problem? Last time I checked the mains electricity energy distribution system worked fine despite needing to put in more energy than comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                      Mazda dealership offers the new Mazda RX 8 for the cheapest price for 63600US dollars, but it's stripped. The one with the sugar on top (as in sun roof top, yaay, DVD and navigation!11), well the price goes up to ~81600US dollars.

Can't say I'm about to afford one of those anytime soon.
                      Jesus Pekka, how much tax do they put on cars over there? The irony is that is will mean that people will drive old bangers which are more polluting but affordable
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Make it a fixed tax and that would solve that problem.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake

The hydrogen economy is for energy distribution so what problem? Last time I checked the mains electricity energy distribution system worked fine despite needing to put in more energy than comes out.
                          What are you talking about? Hydrogen as a fuel to replace petrol will be grossly inefficient. I have no idea what you mean by 'hydrogen economy for energy distribution'.
                          Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
                            Its only 38000$ CAD / 33000$ USD for an RX-8. Pretty affordable for that kind of sports car.
                            My roommate drives a 2006 RX-8 and its a very nice car. She drives it like an old grandmother though.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Hydrogen cars

I don't like the idea of being surrounded by hundreds of little Hindenburgs when I pull into a parking garage. All someone has to do is set off a bomb and BLAOUW... a nice new crater.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Do you honestly believe that? If you had read a part of the thread you'd know about on time conversion and all that sh!t.

Comment

Working...
                                X