No announcement yet.

Hydrogen car in 2010! And its a rotary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrogen car in 2010! And its a rotary!

Sup DanS

Motorsports coverage includes news, highlights, rankings and more spanning NASCAR, Formula 1, NHRA, ARCA, MotoGP, IndyCar and more auto racing circuits.

Mazda to Introduce New Rotary Engine
    Written by: Autocar staff Tokyo, Japan – 3/30/2007

The second-gen Renesis is set to debut in 2010. (Mazda photo)

Mazda has confirmed it’s working on an all-new rotary engine for 2010.

This second-generation Renesis rotary, with more power and less thirst than today’s unit (as found in the RX-8), is the star act in a new round of Mazda powertrain technologies unveiled last week at a business conference in Tokyo.

As it reaffirms its commitment to rotary technology, Mazda will also begin leasing a Premacy (Japan’s version of the Mazda 5) with a hydrogen rotary hybrid in 2008 and launch a full production model using this Mazda-designed system by 2010.

Further ahead, Mazda also has an all-new hydrogen rotary engine with power equivalent to a 3.0-liter gasoline engine and a range of some 250 miles under development.

From 2010, Mazda will start on the next wave of conventional gas engines with 20 percent improved economy and 15-25 percent better performance on the cards.

New clean diesels, capable of meeting super-tough Euro6 and American regs, are also on the menu, along with new platforms and lighter vehicle architecture, all geared to lowering CO2 emissions.

Over the coming four years, Mazda will revamp the bulk of its range. Besides the new Mazda 2, Mazda also has a replacement for the Mazda 6 coming, expected to appear at October’s Tokyo show, using Ford Mondeo underpinnings.

A new, still-secret core model will also be on the block by the plan’s end. Mazda won’t do a low-cost city car for the foreseeable future, so expect this to be a Mazda 3-sized car.
    Woohoo! Hydrogen IS the futur.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

250 miles? That's definitely something that is realistic as far as people using cars goes. That old 70 miles and what not, that was just BS. 250? THat's some cool stuff.. now just get it down to affordable levels, get them pumps all over and it's a done deal!
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Its only 38000$ CAD / 33000$ USD for an RX-8. Pretty affordable for that kind of sports car.
      And they plan the have an economical car (Mazda 3 style) with a rotary engine by 2010 also. Including the RX-7 in 2008, that means Mazda will have 3 cars in their line up with hybrid hydrogen rotary engines.

Mazda

Spec.
      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I guess they made it safe as in, it will not blow up?
        I need a foot massage

Comment

So I will have to fill up at least once per trip?

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Yeah you guys are lucky you don't have the commie front taxing cars like it was a sin to have one..

2004 rx 8 (USED!!!) 40 thousand km driven, 39900euros, that's ~53000US dollars... as we in Finland have the most expensive cars in the world (I think), it's pretty obvious anything with hydro will be twice the price.

And yes, we drive ****ty cars in here for obvious reasons. Oh, did you know we have Europe's cheapest prices BEFORE taxes? Yeah.. pays to be a winner, HOOAH!
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
              I guess they made it safe as in, it will not blow up?
              It's because of people like you that planes are still made of metal and not plastic.

Spec.

Comment

Mazda dealership offers the new Mazda RX 8 for the cheapest price for 63600US dollars, but it's stripped. The one with the sugar on top (as in sun roof top, yaay, DVD and navigation!11), well the price goes up to ~81600US dollars.

Can't say I'm about to afford one of those anytime soon.
                In da butt.

Comment

I wish them luck.

The hydrogen distribution system is almost non-existent compared to the electricity grid, on the other hand.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                    So I will have to fill up at least once per trip?

Jon Miller
                    250miles...

You drive 4 hours to go to work?!

And I'm sure hydrogen will be cheaper than gas someday, as its not a limited resource. And its environmentally friendly.

Spec.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      I wish them luck.

The hydrogen distribution system is almost non-existent compared to the electricity grid, on the other hand.
                      The'll adapt for sure. There's money to be made off of Hydrogen, and someone somewhere knows that.

Spec.
                      Last edited by Spec; April 5, 2007, 13:46.

Comment

I hope there's some kind of hydrogen distribution system in place by that time.

It always seemed to be to be so much wiser to begin with using hydrogen to power busses and other government vehicles. They have certain, fixed fuel centers, and a wide network would not initially be needed. Then, when hydrogen became available to the public, these distribution points could be opened up to all, with private stations also being built.

My prediction: These cars will be less popular that the EV-1.

Comment

I don't think so. If they are marketed well and pushed and pushed, they can succeed. THere's lots of money to be made with these cars and technology, never underestimate the market.

The only question is, are these hydros going to be the next future solution, or will there be something better, and then that takes over?
                          In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                            My prediction: These cars will be less popular that the EV-1.
                            I hope you are wrong.

Not to start the debate again, but think the opposite. Electric cars imo, if you look at the whole pictures, will disappear.

For instance, lots and lots of Americans are looking toi buy that big V8 for the sound and size it has. Hydrogen engines can do that, not EV-1s. Also, every car out there can easily be converted to hydrogen cars. You can still have a 6 speed tranny with hydrogen. No need for dealers to send all their mechanics back to school to teach them how an EV engine works, because hydrogen engines works basically the same way as a gas engine. And many more reasons...

Spec.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                              I don't think so. If they are marketed well and pushed and pushed, they can succeed. THere's lots of money to be made with these cars and technology, never underestimate the market.

The only question is, are these hydros going to be the next future solution, or will there be something better, and then that takes over?
                              Logically, financially and environmentally, hydro should be the end of it as its the same thing as a gas engine. The only difference is that water and steam leaks out of the exhaust instead of CO2.

There has been a concern though that the humidity factor could increase dramatically during rush hour...

Spec.

Comment

Working...
                              X