Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muslim group places bounty of of 5,00,000 Rs. on the head of author critical of Islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim group places bounty of of 5,00,000 Rs. on the head of author critical of Islam

Taslims Nasrin is a controversial Bangladeshi author, who has written books about Islam and women, and about the anti-Hindu riots in Bangladesh.

Now, an Indian Muslim group has placed a bounty of Rs. 5,00,000 on her head. I don't really know which parts of the article to bold, because most all of it is quite shocking.

Muslim group sets Rs 5 lakh on Taslima

LUCKNOW: Nearly seven months after UP minister Haji Yakoob Qureshi raised a storm by announcing a reward on the heads of two Danish cartoonists for lampooning the Prophet, a little-known conservative Muslim group on Friday offered a Rs 5 lakh bounty for the head of controversial Bangladeshi author Taslima Nasreen.

President of the All India Ibtehad Council, Taqi Raza Khan ordered the elimination (qatal) of the exiled novelist. The decision, he said, had full approval of All India Muslim Personal Law Board (Jadid), a splinter group set up four years ago in Bareilly. Jadid means new.

Khan said he had declared a reward of Rs 5 lakh for anyone who killed the "notorious woman". He claimed a core body of the board comprising 150 ulema, lawyers, retired IPS officers, doctors and professors had already passed a resolution on Thursday to oust Nasreen from India. Khan enjoys wide support among the Barelvi sect and the issue is likely to generate heat in coming days, especially with assembly elections round the corner, observers said.

Would the decision be reconsidered? Only if "woh mafi mangey, apni sari kitabein jalaye, aur tauba kare (she apologises, burns her books and leaves)," Khan said.

What has Nasreen done to ruffle this body? "Yeh aurat behad badzuban hai, aur Shariat par hamla karti rahi hai (this woman has a vicious tongue and has been attacking the Shariat)," said Khan.

"We have been hearing that the Indian government is thinking of granting her citizenship. The idea is repugnant to all God-fearing Muslims.

If the government does not drive her out within 10 days, all hell will break lose."
    So we have a repudiation of free speech, of the rights of the individual, an imposition of religious law, and an attempted intimidation of the state, all in one stroke, and all this done by lawyers and doctors and professionals.

But of course, "Islam is the religion of peace"!

'Must die for opposing Prophet'

LUCKNOW: President of the All India Ibtehad Council, Taqi Raza Khan was incensed when Times of India asked him if Islam condoned harsh behaviour against a woman.

"It (Taslima Nasreen matter) is not a gender issue. Anyone who opposes the Prophet does not deserve to live," he retorted. The issue is likely to snowball into a major controversy.

The issue, says lawyer and member of All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB), Zafaryab Jilani, "will strike a chord and will surely find mass support."

"Muslims are extremely touchy about Shariat and the Prophet and could go all out to support the ulema on this issue," added Zafaryab Jilani.
    So you've just told me that I don't deserve to live, and that Muslims have extra-territorial loyalties and are intrinsically traitors to the nation, because in this case, the decision on whether or not to grant that person citizenship is something decided by the state's laws.

Are these people of this wacko organisation completely, absolutely, bat**** INSANE?

How much is that? About 10 euros?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It's about $ 10,869.57.

Comment

So, close to 10 euros.

OK, so they placed a bounty. This is common place around the world. Yeah, they're insane.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Heh, thanks to aimless browsing of Wikipedia, I know why Aneeshm has written "5,00,000" instead of "500,000".

Wikipedia

Comment

do tell!
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

What is the problem ? This is just a common police business, so it should be dealt with quickly.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Heh, I was thinking the same thing, except I read it on The Old New Thing.

But this doesn't sound particularly surprising, does it, coming from "a little-known conservative Muslim group"? (And nevermind the "Muslim", there's extremism on all sides.)

Isn't the media playing into the hands of this little-known group by making such a big fuss over it?

Edit: and what BlackCat said...
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Please explain/link , VJ . I'd assumed it's just another of those wackily annoying things they taught Aneeshm , like putting spaces before punctuation marks .
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                    do tell!
                    Originally posted by Elok
                    Please explain/link , VJ .
                    Indians don't have a traditional term for 10^6 or what we in European-based cultures know as "million". Instead, they have names for 10^5 (called "lakh"), 10^7 (called "crore") and so on. Above thousand, numbers are separated to groups of two instead of groups of three when writing them: 1,000; 10,000; 1,00,000; 10,00,000; 1,00,00,000 et cetera.

When translating news content to English, aneeshm is supposed to also translate the number-separator system, but he doesn't realize or remember the difference.

Comment

Hindu culture messing things up
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Someday the world will realize how much better off we'd all be without Islam. It needs to be erased from the face of the planet.

Comment

Thanks, VJ. Drix, your approval doesn't mean a whole lot, but we generally avoid enabling Aneeshm's, uh, peculiarity. We might not be able to discourage him from flooding us with a billion variants on "Hindus R GR8, Muslimz R teh suXX0rz LOL," but that doesn't mean we should be encouraging him either.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The fact is anyone and everyone is better than muslims. Muslims are the problem in every part of the world today. Oops, I meant they are a religion of peace and tolerance who are being stereotyped as terrorists.

Comment

Originally posted by Drixnak
                              Someday the world will realize how much better off we'd all be without Islam. It needs to be erased from the face of the planet.
                              Drix, while there are a lot to be concerned with regarding Islam and extremism, not all Muslims are evil. Nothing is that simple, wether we want it to be so or not. In short, I think your comment were way out of line.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                              X