New Orleans demands $77 billion in compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand
    Let's talk about that. I guarantee you New Orlreans is safer now than ever before. Houston, San Antonio and Dallas got a lot of their criminals as refugees.
    Not true. The judicial system doesn't have enough people to run it. Criminals are demanding their constitutional right to "quick and speedy" trials, and when there is no courtroom or no prosecutor available, they have to be let go.

Comment

Let's talk about that. I guarantee you New Orlreans is safer now than ever before. Houston, San Antonio and Dallas got a lot of their criminals as refugees.

I hate it when people make gross, unfair generalizations.

As for the dislocation of low-income people, I mean the possibility that the property they had owned will be gobbled up by middle class and upper class in the guise of redevelopment to the disadvantage of low-income residents.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

MrFun, businesses and homes went away. Criminals couldn't just wait around for them to rebuild. They had drug habits to support.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Not true. The judicial system doesn't have enough people to run it. Criminals are demanding their constitutional right to "quick and speedy" trials, and when there is no courtroom or no prosecutor available, they have to be let go.
          Do you think so, Einstein? And what do you think at least contributed to that fact? How does this point count as rebuttal to mine?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

MrFun, businesses and homes went away. Criminals couldn't just wait around for them to rebuild. They had drug habits to support.

Saying that all low-income people are criminals and druggies makes just as much sense as saying that all white Texans are trashy and illiterate.

Comment

... they're both true, right?

Comment

Have you been paying any attention to the news whatsoever?
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

yeah NO is pretty bad. I think the criminals quickly came back knowing police presence would be low. They are taking advantage of the poor people that did return. Truelly a horrible situation. Not that it was that great before.

I think the solution is fairly simple. More police officers (and more IA to keep corruption down). Implementation may not be so simple, however. As if they can't bring people in to live in the city, and be able to pay for the police, they are screwed. The city has always been poor, and their police notoriously bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    ... they're both true, right?

not

But Slowwhand is not helping dispel the generalization of the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Have you been paying any attention to the news whatsoever?

Would you be surprised if he hasn't?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                        Was only a Cat 3 storm, and the Corps is to blame. See this is any of your wire reports, Gatekeeper? Dumbass.
                        Today, exactly eight weeks after the storm, all three breaches are looking less like acts of God and more like failures of engineering that could have been anticipated and very likely prevented...

First, you should use up-to-date data instead of speculative data pushed by a not-so-unbiased source rushing to judgement a few weeks after the disaster.

From http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pdf/TCR-AL122005_Katrina.pdf, tide guage in Plaquemines Parish (the ocean surge measurement closest to NO) measures 14 foot surge, and peak storm surge was at least 27 feet.

[q=http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshs.shtml]
                        Category Three Hurricane:
                        Winds 111-130 mph (96-113 kt or 178-209 km/hr). Storm surge generally 9-12 ft above normal...

Category Four Hurricane:
                        Winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal...

Category Five Hurricane:
                        Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr). Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. [/q]
                        The definition of storm intensity at any given moment is maximum sustained wind speed. However, the storm surge is created by the strength of the storm over the water just prior to landfall. The fact that the storm had dropped to cat3 by wind speed when the eye passed NO did not mystically reduce the storm surge to cat3 levels.

The maximum storm surge was far above the level typical for a cat5 storm. The storm surge measured within spitting distance of NO was in excess of expected cat3 surge.

QED
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                          I like how gatekeeper has bowed out. pwnt.
                          Actually, no, I was just sort of heeding Ming's warning (and, on top of that, working full time and pursuing other, non-Internet, interests).

Besides, I usually fail to engage with people whose first instinct is to throw crap in others' faces, i.e., your calling me a "dumbass" and something that came across as "****" because 'Poly's filters didn't like it.

I only occasionally participate in Internet-based "debates" anymore because "good" folks like you, Wiglaf, come along and show why it's not worth it for the most part. I do, however, remain involved in real world-based debates (think City Council gatherings, among other things) because, well, you actually make a difference in them (not to mention "see" who's "opposing" you and maybe go and have a beer with 'em afterward).

So, yes, you "won" in a way, Wiglaf. Enjoy the trophy.

Gatekeeper
                          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Gatekeeper
                            Straybow

I thought about mentioning the storm surge. Wind speed is only part of the equation, and the storm had been a cat5/strong cat4 right up until it come ashore... when the wind speed dropped just into the cat3 range, IIRC. It was still a ****ing monster.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                            X