New Orleans demands $77 billion in compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, 77 is 11 times 7..

But I think Lancer hit the nail, I hope us internationals also get to see some.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
      Before we give any 77 billion $ I wanna see some breasts!
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

F*ck Louisiana, seriously.

Comment

It already is.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

True, but Katrina had little to do with that.

Comment

Just added to the ****dom.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                Corps of engineers failed to design the levees properly, not local contractors.
                Perhaps that is part of the equation, but then the problem was further magnified by substandard construction, the domain of the aforementioned local contractors. Two wrongs don't make a right, yet I don't see Nagin's lawyers telling him to go after the contractors, at least not based on what Slowwhand posted. Just the feds, naturally.

Yes, there is corruption in the city. But if the Corps is liable, and I think it is, then the city deserves the money. Analagous situation: You damage my property, I sue you. You cannot claim in defense that I am a moron and would misspend the money. I get the money for the damage you caused.
                You're using a private property situation, which isn't quite apples to apples. Basically, what we have here is one level of government suing another level of government for $77 billion. One way or another, it's the taxpayers who get sacked for the money, a percentage of which will likely go to the lawyers.

Odds are, had the word "lawsuit" never entered the equation, the $77 billion probably would have come one way or another to New Orleans and Louisiana. Politicians are, if nothing else, quite adept at bringing in the big bucks, especially in states that are fairly influential (of which I'd rank Louisiana as probably mid-tier).

Also, Nagin renowned for cleaning up New orleans corruption since his election.
                Coulda fooled me, based on the news copy I read day in and day out, copy that comes from multiple sources — AP, MCT, LA Times/WashPost News Wire, Reuters, AFP, etc. From what I can tell, various church groups and private groups are doing a better job of helping folks out in the New Orleans area than their local government is.

Learn your facts before you go off on denying a ruined city a chance to come back, *******.
                Denying a ruined city a chance to come back, eh? Pretty harsh words to use against me, Wiglaf. Then again, I guess you didn't know that I was among the many, many people who gave money to help New Orleans rebuild. Yep, went on down to the local Red Cross office and did my little bit of help, monetarily.

Now you do. Oh, and Wiglaf? You can **** off, too, kiddo.

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

This isn't surprising. You can't go after the contractors because they're hosed too. The folks with the big pockets are the feds.

At a minimum, if you don't ask for the $77 b, nobody will give it to you.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper

Perhaps that is part of the equation, but then the problem was further magnified by substandard construction, the domain of the aforementioned local contractors. Two wrongs don't make a right, yet I don't see Nagin's lawyers telling him to go after the contractors, at least not based on what Slowwhand posted. Just the feds, naturally.
                    Haha. The contractors have no money. The city isn't to blame if they screwed up either. The Corps is responsible for the failed design, and they have the money.

You're using a private property situation, which isn't quite apples to apples. Basically, what we have here is one level of government suing another level of government for $77 billion. One way or another, it's the taxpayers who get sacked for the money, a percentage of which will likely go to the lawyers.
                    The city wouldn't get the money it deserves unless it sued.

Odds are, had the word "lawsuit" never entered the equation, the $77 billion probably would have come one way or another to New Orleans and Louisiana.
                    You have to be kidding. Bush recently cut funding to New Orleans. You have nothing to back this assertion up whatsoever.

Coulda fooled me, based on the news copy I read day in and day out, copy that comes from multiple sources — AP, MCT, LA Times/WashPost News Wire, Reuters, AFP, etc. From what I can tell, various church groups and private groups are doing a better job of helping folks out in the New Orleans area than their local government is.
                    Where do you demonstrate that Nagin is corrupt?

Denying a ruined city a chance to come back, eh? Pretty harsh words to use against me, Wiglaf. Then again, I guess you didn't know that I was among the many, many people who gave money to help New Orleans rebuild. Yep, went on down to the local Red Cross office and did my little bit of help, monetarily.

Now you do. Oh, and Wiglaf? You can **** off, too, kiddo.

Gatekeeper
                    I lived in New Orleans for a time, and you saying that you are "losing patience" with a city so clearly screwed over so many times by the feds makes you a douche bag.

Comment

Gatekeeper why don't you go suck some Mac **** instead of being such a old salt "oh i am a newspaper man i have AP/CNN/APS/NINT/RESDAOM wire reports coming out of my $5000 Mac's ass"

learn facts and use those, not your preconceptions, bastard

Comment

Poor wiglaf

Comment

Hell's bells, Wiglaf. I'm one of the "nicer" folks at 'Poly. God forbid you ever cross somebody who's really an ogre about these things or is a professional debater.

Gatekeeper
                          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I want $77 billion dollars too!
                            be free

Comment

Yay! Let's all laugh and point and ***** about a city and people that were flooded and forced to rebuild and move! Ha, I've never faced that situation, but surely I wouldn't be like that! I would build houses left and right!
                              I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                              New faces...Strange places,
                              Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                              -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

I would move.

Comment

Working...
                                X