X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flubber

Never

I wish kid a better job and cheaper rent

I just thought he was headed into that rent is exploitation argument again. But he didn't. If its merely a complaint that he feels prices are too high, I can commiserate
    Are taxes exploitive?
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

Are taxes exploitive?
      Ahh and here you are going to say that since taxes and rent are the same ( which I dispute) then if one is exploitive, the other one must be as well.

Right?

Actually I do not find taxes to be explotive

ex·ploit (ìk'sploit', ĭk-sploit') Pronunciation Key
      n. An act or deed, especially a brilliant or heroic one. See Synonyms at feat1.

tr.v. (ĭk-sploit', ìk'sploit') ex·ploit·ed, ex·ploit·ing, ex·ploits

To employ to the greatest possible advantage: exploit one's talents.
      To make use of selfishly or unethically: a country that exploited peasant labor. See Synonyms at manipulate.
      To advertise; promote.

I just don't see anything there that is exploitive in the canadian tax system. I do accept that taxes, wages, rents, prices COULD be exploitive in certain circumstances but reject any notion that they are necessarily exploitive
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Nah, I don't think you're hating here

However, 1500 rent is way too high for you, unless this situation is very temporary, or you have a wife who pays half or something... Unless the money you're paying now means you end up owning this place, I just think this is hindering to support the quality of life you could have.... because this means you're making it, but you're not accumulating any extra to... well you know, to have that extra bit of safety plus do things people need, vacation, some entertainment, new furniture and stuff. Get yourself a rich wife!
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Ahh and here you are going to say that since taxes and rent are the same ( which I dispute) then if one is exploitive, the other one must be as well.

Right?

Actually I do not find taxes to be explotive

I just don't see anything there that is exploitive in the canadian tax system. I do accept that taxes, wages, rents, prices COULD be exploitive in certain circumstances but reject any notion that they are necessarily exploitive
          When there's a housing shortage do you think that a lot of people only charge as if there is no shortage? Do you think property management companies don't take advantage of market conditions?

Comment

• The way Marx used the term "exploit" is different actually. In my view Marx used it as a relative term. It's not just people taking advantage of opportunities, it's the level to which they are able to profit economically from it. The system becomes more exploitive as rents increase in proportion to working peoples incomes, profits increase in proportion to peoples wages etc. The more exploitive a system gets the closer it is to communism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
              The more exploitive a system gets the closer it is to communism.

hmmm

Do you mean that greater "exploitation" leads to a greater desire for communism ( ie to fix it). Because the way you wrote that it seems to say that more and more exploitation means a system closer and closer to communism. THat would imply that communism is the ultimate in exploitation which isn't what I think you would ever mean .. . but you often use terms in ways contrary to the more common usage so I thought I would check
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

hmmm

Do you mean that greater "exploitation" leads to a greater desire for communism ( ie to fix it). Because the way you wrote that it seems to say that more and more exploitation means a system closer and closer to communism. THat would imply that communism is the ultimate in exploitation which isn't what I think you would ever mean .. . but you often use terms in ways contrary to the more common usage so I thought I would check
                No. What theoretically happens is that there becomes less competition among capitalists and more competition among workers for jobs. This allows for greater exploitation, but creates an unstable political environment. I think I'm actually adding something to the actual Marxist theory, because he believed in the iron law of wages, but that's about the jest of it. His purpose was to explain how capitalism would be transformed into communism, not to make people think that capitalists were evil or something.

Comment

Working...
                X