The rationale behind discrediting Liberal Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by notyoueither
    The fact that as LotM pointed out, there is not even one private institution in the English speaking world that agrees with you doesn't give you pause, frog?
    Errr...I think you missed the part where I said it wasn't about getting rid of the liberal arts entirely, but of reducing their importance.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris
      The amount of money spent on liberal arts is already ridiculously low.
      Produce something people are willing to pay for then.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        Produce something people are willing to pay for then.
        You mean things like literature, art, motion pictures and music?

Comment

• Music, motion pictures literature and art are produced by liberal arts departments?
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Don't be stupid.

Comment

• Personal anecdote...

I have a friend whose novel is coming out in the summer of 2008. He graduated with a degree in physics from Notre Dame.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• My friend's dad is a physics prof at Notre Dame...
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• My Aunt's boyfriend's yoga teacher once looked askance at a Physics prof from Notre Dame.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Music, motion pictures literature and art are produced by liberal arts departments?
                    Lord of the Rings
                    Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                      You people will believe anything...

A person's character is determined merely by how wealthy they are?

No, their character is not determined by how wealthy they are. Their value as a human being is revealed by how wealthy they are, however. People who are worth more to society get paid more, ergo their wealth is a sign of their superior value.
                      This sounds like something Dis would say.
                      A) It's total bull****
                      B) Dis has no money, so
                      C) What's the ****ing point?
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• [SIZE=1] Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                        No, their character is not determined by how wealthy they are. Their value as a human being is revealed by how wealthy they are, however. People who are worth more to society get paid more, ergo their wealth is a sign of their superior value.
                        Michael Jackson
                        Blah

Comment

• I thought Wacko Jacko was supposed to be impoverished these days?
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Dunno, maybe today, but he was still the most successful guy in pop music for quite some time IIRC....
                            Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist
                              I thought Wacko Jacko was supposed to be impoverished these days?
                              Impoverished simply means he blows through the millions he gets in royalties every year.

Comment

Errr...I think you missed the part where I said it wasn't about getting rid of the liberal arts entirely, but of reducing their importance.
                                How much more can you reduce them?

Do you have numbers on any campuses that show that tuition paid by arts and humanities students (on top of government grants per student) do not more than cover their own depatments?
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                                X