The rationale behind discrediting Liberal Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rationale behind discrediting Liberal Arts

I was just wondering about the rationale that engineering/math/compsci students and graduates had behind the disdain for liberal arts.

I know that there has been some mention that many people that pursue a liberal arts type major are less intelligent, don't need to attend college for their future careers, etc etc. Anyone want to elucidate on this rivalry?
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

They're different, so we hate them.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Plus they take funding/space at universities.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

TLC speaketh teh truth
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          Plus they take funding/space at universities.
          Why do you care about that?
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

You've obviously never had to take a class with moronic liberal arts students. It's torture, far worse than anything we're doing in Gitmo...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

the word "liberal"
                Monkey!!!

Comment

It's the envy of the actually educated by the merely trained.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

where does "thuganomics" fit in?
                    Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Why would you envy people poorer than you?
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                        You've obviously never had to take a class with moronic liberal arts students. It's torture, far worse than anything we're doing in Gitmo...
                        so it's a human rights issue?

doesn't the system pounce on them once they finish (or don't)? It's not like they work less hard and achieve more career-wise (most times).

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Why would you envy people poorer than you?
                          You can envy them when they're your betters.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

doesn't the system pounce on them once they finish (or don't)?

It does, thank god. The "actually educated" get what's coming to them in the labor market...

You can envy them when they're your betters.

If they're poorer than you, they can't possibly be your better. Don't be ridiculous.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Then what's the problem? If the system works why are people still mad?

Comment

Working...
                              X