No announcement yet.

The rationale behind discrediting Liberal Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At what point does it discuss departments?

Or is UofA suddenly a liberal arts-only school?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Zkribbler

Mssrs Spielberg and Lucas will be surprised to hear that.
      Lucas is a CON, not a pro of liberal arts educations...

Spielberg never got into UCLA film school...his degrees are honourary.

The only reason he went to California State University (Long Beach) was to avoid the draft.

He never finished his degree til what, 2002?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
        At what point does it discuss departments?

Or is UofA suddenly a liberal arts-only school?
        Hmmm. Considering that government money is largely per student, add that to tuition paid by arts students and I'd say that a relatively cheap faculty is either self sufficient or actually turning a profit for the university and thus subsidising other faculties.

This seems to be the reverse of Krazy's claims which may apply to JH, but don't seem to be universal.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
          Hmmm. Considering that government money is largely per student, add that to tuition paid by arts students and I'd say that a relatively cheap faculty is either self sufficient or actually turning a profit for the university and thus subsidising other faculties.

This seems to be the reverse of Krazy's claims which may apply to JH, but don't seem to be universal.
          Sorry, incredibly weak argument. I hope you realize that programs get specific funding from the government outside the scope of grants.

Your figures do not correspond to your argument.

Comment

• UofA arts enrollment is 5,600 of a total of 27,000 undergrads, btw.

The Arts take up way less than 20% of the campus.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

UofA arts enrollment is 5,600 of a total of 27,000 undergrads, btw.

The Arts take up way less than 20% of the campus.
              Arts or liberal arts?

Where's the full breakdown...

Comment

Sorry, incredibly weak argument. I hope you realize that programs get specific funding from the government outside the scope of grants.

Your figures do not correspond to your argument.
                Show me other figures.

It is fairly common knowledge that government subsidises our universities to a very large extent and that that is on a per student basis.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Arts or liberal arts?

Where's the full breakdown...
                  Both combined, the UofA didn't have seperate numbers for fine arts and humanities.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

Show me other figures.

It is fairly common knowledge that government subsidises our universities to a very large extent and that that is on a per student basis.
                    Not all students receive the same subsidies. Look into the ACCESS program in Alberta, for instance. In the late 90s when it began, it gave additional money per student enrolled in IT-related fields.

I'm not aware of any university who publishes "net incomes" per department, which is why I was curious when you readily declared you had some. I should have just suspected that due to your liberal arts background, you are still a bit uncertain as to what backs up a strong argument.

Comment

Lucas is a CON, not a pro of liberal arts educations...
                      On the other hand, Lucas's student project was THX 1138, which got him American Graffitti, which got him Star Wars.

Spielberg never got into UCLA film school...his degrees are honourary.
                      Ahem, I'm sure you meant U.S.C. the school to which he just gave something like 3/4 billion dollars.
                      Damn, worthless liberal arts people.

I know that Harold and Maude was another student project.

Those are the only two that pop to mind...but this isn't really my strong area.

Comment

Not all students receive the same subsidies. Look into the ACCESS program in Alberta, for instance. In the late 90s when it began, it gave additional money per student enrolled in IT-related fields.

I'm not aware of any university who publishes "net incomes" per department, which is why I was curious when you readily declared you had some. I should have just suspected that due to your liberal arts background, you are still a bit uncertain as to what backs up a strong argument.
                        And there is a larger cost per student in faculties other than the arts. They also pay some additional fees for 'cost recovery'.

And don't go and ruin it. We're having a civil discussion, but if you really want to be a *****...
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by Zkribbler
                          On the other hand, Lucas's student project was THX 1138, which got him American Graffitti, which got him Star Wars.
                          All of which are awful movies.

Those are the only two that pop to mind...but this isn't really my strong area.
                          You provided an example contrary to your argument, which is awesome.

1) Spielberg got rejected from film school 3 times and never finished til 2002 with them due to them being a complete waste of time
                          2) Lucas makes some of the lamest, most contrived, amateurish films in existence and is a proud product of such a liberal arts education. He is the Britney Spears of film directors.

Good show.

Comment

And there is a larger cost per student in faculties other than the arts. They also pay some additional fees for 'cost recovery'.

And don't go and ruin it. We're having a civil discussion, but if you really want to be a *****...
                            The only reason we were having a civil discussion is I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Once I decided you were squirming around without any real arguments, it's time to put civility aside until you learn your lesson.

Comment

• 5600 arts students at $4500 for 2 semesters would be 25,200,000 in tuition and another 2,800,000 of the 163,423,000 in tuition and fees collected (that's counting everyone as a domestic student, there are a large number of foreign students who pay a lot more).

That is 17% of the tuition and fees number for 25% of the undergrad students, for a very cheap faculty.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

That is 17% of the tuition and fees number for 25% of the undergrad students
                                Seems to me like they aren't paying their share.

Slackers!

Comment

Working...
                                X