History's Greatest Statesmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Deng Xiaoping, and not Zhou Enlai?

Zhou recruited Deng to the CCP, and arranged his succession upon Zhou's death; engineered the KMT-CCP united front ("Chinese should not fight Chinese but a common enemy: the invader"); moderated the worst excesses of the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution; participated in the 1954 Geneva conference; negotiated renewed ties with the West; all the while staying one step ahead of Chinese domestic politics, which is no small accomplishment in itself.

Going back a bit farther, how about Li Shimin (Emperor Taizong), who essentially founded the Tang Dynasty?
    Attached Files
    Old posters never die.
    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
      How exactly was Churchill behind WW2

Oh I forgot he invaded Poland
      Congratulations, you have pushed Ned's 'ON' button.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I don't know enough to decide. But I like very much Julius Caesar and Jan de Witt.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris

Congratulations, you have pushed Ned's 'ON' button.
          I know I know, but he is becomming a Nazi apologist and even if its clever trolloing I think I should comment
          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Caliph al Ma'Mun

Cyrus The Great

Clement Attlee

Cardinal Richelieu

Otto von Bismarck
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

What about Anastas Mikoyan? Possibly one of the most under appreciated statesmen of the 20th century.

Comment

I'm casting a vote for Otto von Bismarck

His unification of 39 separate principalities and free states into the German Empire, coupled with his humiliating defeats of Austria and France, and his elevation of a Prussian-led Germany to the apex of central European power make him one of the most successful national leaders of all time.

Comment

I'd say that Washington did a pretty good job. He was reluctant to be president, which is one of his best qualifications, AND the country begged him to take the job. If I am not mistaken, that's not quite the way elections are being run these days (if it were, perhaps we'd have a better outcome).

Also, I'll vote for Cyrus, who was so popular that when he entered Babylon the city was handed to him on a silver platter by it's own people.

Julius Caesar, 'cause, well... he's Julius Caesar.

Nelson Mandela, whose substantial achievements can speak for themselves.

And let's go nuts... Mikhail Gorbachev!
                  In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                    Chanakya

I got a lot of mileage out of him in the History of the World V diplogame:

He was definitely my favorite character I used in the game. I had him do so many sneaky things.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Given that Mikoyan got to survive through Lenin, Stalin, Kruschev and Breznev, then kudos to him.
                      "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                      George Orwell

Comment

Re: Re: History's Greatest Statesmen

Originally posted by Ned

Churchill? He was one of the folks who behind both WWI and WWII.
                        Is not that a sufficient reason? No other has been instrumental in causing two World Wars...
                        Statistical anomaly.
                        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

My vote is for Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. Transforming the rotten and badly beaten Ottoman Empire into a modern state is an enormous achievement.
                          Quendelie axan!

Comment

Previously, I've voted for von Metternich and von Bismarck. I'm topping off my 5 votes with:

Cardinal Richlieu -- for bringing Catholic France into the 30 Years War on the side of the Protestants, supplanting religious wars with nationalism.

Anwar Sadat -- for his efforts to bring peace between Egypt and Israel.

Benjamin Franklin - for obtaining the critical support of monarchial France to the cause of American republicanism, and in bankrupting France in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                              Irving pointed out

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v07/v07p498_Okeefe.html
                              Like anybody really listens to Irving....I mean the man is a revisionist for Christs' sake. He believes that the holocaust never happened

Asmodean
                              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Here's another vote for Bismarck.
                                I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Working...
                                X