Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are all the Prophets of Judachrislam essentially faithless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aneeshm, I would advise you to read chapters 1 & 2 of the Theologico-Political Treatise. I'd be interested to hear what you think of Spinoza's definition of 'prophets' and 'prophecy'.

Gutenberg has the text available for free:

Brief summary: a prophecy is only drawn from a sign, a vision. Thus, a prophet is someone with more imagination. Prophets are to be revered because of their piety, but not their visions. The only prophet whose message we should take directly is Jesus, because he's the only one of which the Scripture says that he had a direct connection to the 'Spirit of God'.

Spinoza does not directly address your questions, he 'liquidates' them.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

If it is random, isn't that just plain unfair (that some souls get a "Hotline to Heaven", whereas others have to be content with receiving orders from the guy with the phone)? Isn't it unfair to everyone else that they have to rely on faith, whereas the Prophets have (personal) proof?

You don't have to rely on faith (as in the expression of external signs of religiosity) to go to Heaven... This is the essence of Jesus' message, that God recognizes piety universally.
      Besides, the concept of 'fairness' is a human creation anyway. The story of Job illustrates how God's justice is beyond ours.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
        http://www.amazon.com/Prophets-Abrah.../dp/0061315575
        I purchased this.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

I purchased this.

JM
          You mean just since I posted the link, or youd already purchased it?
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Since

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

wow, someone actually bought a book cause I suggested it.

Hope you enjoy it, I havent read it, ive read a number of snippets from Heschel though.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I have been meaning to get a Jewish book for a while. That seemed like a good one.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

There are different definitions of faith.

The operative definition in this case is a moral conviction of the truthfulness of God, or of a doctrine or practice.

This is where Jonah fell short. He didn't agree with God's intent to bring repentence and forgiveness to Ninevah.
                  (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                  (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                    Actually, it's not a troll, it's a serious question. I deliberately chose a provocative title so that people would be more inclined to read through the rather long and involved argument which I presented.
                    Didn't work. Didn't read it.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I know that Judaism is the most "intellectual" of these three religions (it's also the only one I can trust not to go "looney" on me every few hundred years, as the other two have done so throughout history)
                      What a ludicrous set of statements.

Have you ever heard of St. Augustine, Thomas Aquinas or Boethius, to name but three ?

How about al Biruni, Ibn Sina and Ibn Rushd ?

'Intellectuals' all.

When there were Jewish kingdoms, 'Judaism' was quite capable of 'going looney'- Dhu Nuwas in southern Arabia, for instance.

Of course the difference is, I suppose, that with the exception of the Cochin Jews in southern India, there hasn't historically been a huge Jewish presence in the Indian sub-continent in the way there has been a Muslim one, and a Jewish empire didn't rule over the Hindus.

Not too difficult to see where you're coming from.

Here's someone you quoted before:

We can only say, folly is an illness for which there is no medicine, and the Hindus believe that there is no country but theirs, no nation like theirs, no kings like theirs, no religion like theirs, no science like theirs. They are haughty, foolishly vain, self-conceited, and stolid. They are by nature niggardly in communicating that which they know, and they take the greatest possible care to withhold it from men of another caste among their own people, still much more, of course, from any foreigner. According to their belief, there is no other country on earth but theirs, no other race of man but theirs, and no created beings besides them have any knowledge of science whatsoever. ...

If they traveled and mixed with other nations, they would soon change their mind, for their ancestors were not as narrow-minded as the present generation is. One of their scholars, Varahamihira, in a passage where he calls on the people to honor the Brahmins, says:

"The Greeks, though impure, must be honored, since they were trained in sciences and therein excelled others. What, then, are we to say of a Brahmin, if he combines with his purity the height of science?"

In former times, the Hindus used to acknowledge that the progress of science due to the Greeks is much more important than that which is due to themselves. But from this passage of Varahamihira alone you see what a self-lauding man he is, while he gives himself airs as doing justice to others....
                      al Biruni, 'A Description of India' , 1030 a.d.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I could find reams of material to contradict that, but let's not go there, let's stick to the topic at hand.
                        Columbus was NOT a Spanish missionary.

There were indeed many Spaniards of the Catholic faith who tried to protect the indigenous peoples of the Americas.

If your 'reams of material' are anything like the rubbish you posted about the supposed numbers of Hindus killed by the Portuguese Inquisition, then we should be in for a real laughterfest.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Columbus was NOT a Spanish missionary.
                          I never said he was.

There were indeed many Spaniards of the Catholic faith who tried to protect the indigenous peoples of the Americas.
                          We all know how successful they were, don't we.

If your 'reams of material' are anything like the rubbish you posted about the supposed numbers of Hindus killed by the Portuguese Inquisition, then we should be in for a real laughterfest.
                          That was not in reference to the Columbus comment.

Comment

Well, this should be an entertaining brawl, but I'd like to add St. Gregory Palamas to Molly's list of Xian intellectuals, which is currently heavily skewed to the West. Just because the RCC killed the mystical tradition in their part of the world, that doesn't mean it never existed.

Oh, and my Orthodox Study Bible defines Faith as "belief and trust in Jesus Christ as one's savior." The trust bit is the important difference WRT your original post. If faith were just an opinion that a certain concept is factually true, what would the significance of it be? The prophets had faith insofar as they heard God and agreed to do His work, despite the considerable dangers and personal costs often involved.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Hesychiasm is a relatively new development in church history, not something the catholic church killed.
                              The whole, looking to a striahgt point, repeating something till you see a light reminds me of oriental religions sincerely.
                              Altough JPII said it was all ok and that catholics oculd do it too.

And the roman catholic church has a strong mystical tradition (st francis, therese of Avila, ignacio de loyola etc), but the orthodox tend to think their visions are demonic hallucinations.

------------------

To Aneeshm, native americans are alive and kicking

I need a foot massage

Comment

That's hilarious... Are they Furries?

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X