Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good riddance to bad rubbish - 15 years since USSR dissolved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good riddance to bad rubbish - 15 years since USSR dissolved!

FREEDOM! Woohoo!
    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Hurrah, no more commies...

Now, instead, the mob. The separatists. Chechenia. Terrorism. Radioactive poison.
      And last but not least, Putin.

Edited: And I think I made a mistake posting it here... Please, don't bash me!
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Aro, I think Sara was more concerned about Lithuania's freedom than what is going on Russia.

In general, down with Imperialism!
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Serb
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
              Aro, I think Sara was more concerned about Lithuania's freedom than what is going on Russia.

In general, down with Imperialism!
              Agreed, Ned... In general!

Seriously, get rid of oppression is always a good thing!

@ Lituania!
              RIAA sucks
              The Optimistas

Comment

On Lenin's grave
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Lenin doesn't have a grave
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                    Lenin doesn't have a grave
                    on his very creepily-embalmed body in the masoleum then.
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Well, I think it was a good thing. It was one important factor why Finland went straight to recession that was devastating though.. we had lots of business with SU. Well we still do.

But for the Russian people, not living in satellite states.. don't know. Time will tell. A step needed to be made, was it handled well, I guess not. But how would one contain the situation around the collapse anyway? At least there weren't massive otubreaks of fighting. Quite peaceful.

Now, of course if the old style woudl have continued, communism, and assume the cold war would have died down, we'd still have a problem of very very centralized power system of one party, and that just creates and sustains the elite, and those are guaranteed grounds for corruption and therefore oppression of those who would be against it.

Woudl that be better? I don't think so, any modern country just can not go that route, at least not in that style.

Is it better now though? You'd have to ask from the common man, and opinions will be varying a lot. They would of course measure the change in terms of their own well being, stability etc.

Seems to me that there has been some form of hijacking of the power, because the government still uses lots of power, it projects it heavily. But at least there is some more variety in that stage. However you have a new form of elite, the super rich. Seems to me the common man is still left with not much to themselves. So that can't be good.

Who knows what to do.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It's funny how people still celebrate the freedoms from the USSR at a time where freedoms in the west are being drained away.

Instead of free speech we have laws about hate speech.
                        Instead of freedom of travel we have increasingly shrill demands that travel is evil, and increasing levels of taxation on it.
                        Instead of freedom to choose in the market we have the arm-twisting of 'informed choice' and the fad for 'ethical consumerism'.

At least the Soviet Union gave us in the west something to be proud of wrt freedom. Now the bogey man has gone we seem to be surrendering those cherished freedoms too easily.

Comment

CH, agreed. And every single time something new comes up, we bash the civil rights groups for it. I mean, when they go and argue against implenetating new rules of 'crap', they are actually defending all of our rights. I don't care, they don't have the power to do anything stupid, they only have the power to stop stupid things. Why should I be worried about what THEY do?

Also, every time, we go 'ohh.. well that's too bad. But let's remember we are still very free' blaa blaa blaa 'this is to price to pay for freedom' blaa blaa blaa.. it seems like an interesting concept where the price of freedom is to give it away.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Freedom
                            Freedom to starve
                            Freedom to be poisoned
                            Freedom to oppress others
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassi
                              Freedom
                              Freedom to starve
                              Freedom to be poisoned
                              Freedom to oppress others
                              Speaking "in general", it's exactly my point...

@ Tassi
                              RIAA sucks
                              The Optimistas

Comment

Working...
                              X