No announcement yet.

Metropolitan Econonic Activity Index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
      NO, better = better.

We have traffic (thought I don;t know where the **** you get sewage given that NY's waterways are cleaner now than they have been for the last 100 years, to the point that river life is thriving) problem because people want to be here.
      I get the sewage problem from being in NYC and smelling sewage all over midtown manhattan. Also, the garbage is everywhere just out on the curb on the street, which also smells.

Maybe you guys are used to it, but your city literally stinks.

You can get off how great your city is when you can jog in Central Park at night without getting mugged, when you can go outside and not see garbage spilling onto the streets, when you can not smell sewage nearly constantly downtown, and when your citizens get through their heads that while a large city gives you lots of diverse people, it doesn't make it the best city to live in.

And judging by my coworkers, a huge portion of which are from NYC, it's entirely overrated.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You know what Asher, the day any random person around the world is asked to name the five greatest cities in the world and Calgary is mentioned, I will give you a lollipop.
        Be careful. Calgarians make up roughly 0.0167% of the world's population. There's a chance that random person might be someone like this:

That's a risk you shouldn't take.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Personality.

By contrast, here is a New Yorker in his $500/month "apartment":
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Oh, I get it, your hick nose was miffed. How sad.

As for better place to live, there are always people who prefer boredom to excitement. For those people, there is Calgary.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You're only bored if you've no friends or nothing to do.

New Yorkers constantly sit around in circles, jerking off to "OMG WE ARE IN THE GREATEST CITY EVER" while paying $3000 a month for a bachelor pad, spending most of their lives in traffic or packed like sardines in a subway, inhaling particles of human fecal matter from the inadequate sewage system, and crying over how cold and anonymous the whole place feels.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

By contrast, here is a New Yorker in his $500/month "apartment":
                Yeah... he's also a stock broker who drives this to the office:

You are right. Traffic is a *****.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You know what Asher, the day any random person around the world is asked to name the five greatest cities in the world and Calgary is mentioned, I will give you a lollipop.
                  I live here and while I think its a great place to live--I agree-- It ain't anywhere near being one of the 5 "greatest" cities-- It probably would rank well in any survey of good places to live though

I see "greatest cities" and "good place to live" as not necessarily being the same
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

I live here and while I think its a great place to live--I agree-- It ain't anywhere near being one of the 5 "greatest" cities-- It probably would rank well in any survey of good places to live though

I see "greatest cities" and "good place to live" as not necessarily being the same
                    The difference is simple: good place to live is a purely subjective notion. Different people have different things they want.

What makes a City "great" (wealth, size, amount of cultural attractions, so forth) can be far more easily measured.

We here in NYC get people like Ashar all the time, folks who simply don't like the urban life. Whatever floats their boat, its their "life." But their opinions are meaningless when it comes to the reality that NYC is one of the Great cities of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      Yeah... he's also a stock broker who drives this to the office:
                      I take it you haven't heard of "energy traders" in Calgary and the billions of dollars they make.

Comment

We here in NYC get people like Ashar all the time, folks who simply don't like the urban life. Whatever floats their boat, its their "life." But their opinions are meaningless when it comes to the reality that NYC is one of the Great cities of the world.
                        Errr? I don't like the urban life?

I'm all about being urban. I love the subway, I love the clubs, I love being able to walk most places.

New York City is, quite simply, obscene in more ways than one.

It is only "great" in size and history. While this means the world to people like you clinging for something to be proud of, the rest of us are more realistic and want a city with nice people (not the rude New Yorkers who honk if you look at them and don't care if you're crossing on a crosswalk with a walk sign), with affordable costs of living, with high standards of living, with clean air, and with ample jobs and great pay.

New York is severely lacking in almost all of the above. Once you get over the fact that it is, indeed, a legendary city you can see why it's not one of the best places to live.

Comment

The difference is simple: good place to live is a purely subjective notion. Different people have different things they want.

What makes a City "great" (wealth, size, amount of cultural attractions, so forth) can be far more easily measured.

I would never dipute that New York is a great city-- its size and position as a financial centre amkes that fairly obvious. With size come obvious multicultural elements, the arts and a vibrant nightlife.

All thats great . . . wonderful even but that doesn't mean that most people want to live there or anywhere like it or are in any way jealous of what it is or has.

I love being in a small city of a million. It has all the amenities I want but the drive anywhere is short and I can get to the coutry whenever I want and quite easily. It may be subjective but it would be a view shared by a lot of people ( including many New Yorkers I bet who are there from economic necessity)
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

You still yapping your flap on the issue?

But their opinions are meaningless when it comes to the reality that NYC is one of the Great cities of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

All thats great . . . wonderful even but that doesn't mean that most people want to live there or anywhere like it or are in any way jealous of what it is or has.
                              There is nothing forcing people to stay in NYC if they hate it. Plenty of people leave NYC, are are replaced by plenty of other people. Countless cities in the US have shrunk as people fled for the suburbs. Look at Detroit or St. Louis, both of which have lost 50% of their urban populations in the last 50 years. New York has fluctuated between 7 and 8 million for decades now. It has not seen the immense urban exodus other cities have.

Comment

NY is awesome, but it does indeed smell like garbage.

The one NY gets from me is how filthy it is.
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X