Kissinger says Iraq not winnable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kissinger says Iraq not winnable

Kissenger has basically said that the administration has so badly screwed the pooch in Irq that a military solution is no longer possible.

Kissinger: Military victory no longer possible in Iraq

By Tariq Panja
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

8:07 a.m. November 19, 2006

LONDON – Military victory is no longer possible in Iraq, former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger said in a television interview broadcast Sunday.

Kissinger presented a bleak vision of Iraq, saying the U.S. government must enter into dialogue with Iraq's regional neighbors – including Iran – if progress is to be made in the region.

“If you mean by 'military victory' an Iraqi government that can be established and whose writ runs across the whole country, that gets the civil war under control and sectarian violence under control in a time period that the political processes of the democracies will support, I don't believe that is possible,” he told the British Broadcasting Corp.

But Kissinger, an architect of the Vietnam war who has advised President Bush about Iraq, warned against a rapid withdrawal of coalition troops, saying it could destabilize Iraq's neighbors and cause a long-lasting conflict.

“A dramatic collapse of Iraq – whatever we think about how the situation was created – would have disastrous consequences for which we would pay for many years and which would bring us back, one way or another, into the region,” he said.

Kissinger, whose views have been sought by the Iraqi Study Group, led by former Secretary of State James Baker III, called for an international conference bringing together the permanent members of the United Nations Security Council, Iraq's neighbors – including Iran – and regional powers like India and Pakistan to work out a way forward for the region.

“I think we have to redefine the course, but I don't think that the alternative is between military victory, as defined previously, or total withdrawal,” he said.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

This kind of puts Bush's recent "We'll win if we don't quit" , I.E. stay the course, retoric in its place. It just makes Bush look totally disconnected from reality. Of course, that's because Bush is totally disconnected from reality.

Comment

Go for the draw then
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

there is no draw, once the troops leave iraq becomes puppet state of Iran, thats what happens when you depose a secular dictator, and let a majority shiite country vote.

USA just should have never invaded Iraq
        I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
          there is no draw, once the troops leave iraq becomes puppet state of Iran
          Great, does george W have a son? We can keep replaying the gulf war every ten years.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I have no doubt that Iran will do a good job in quelling any resistance and installing the sharia in Iraq
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I feel bad for the christians in Iraq, there used to be 1 million 200.000 christians there, now only about 600.000, and probably more will move out in the near future.
              I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

Great, does george W have a son? We can keep replaying the gulf war every ten years.
                Nope, but how about Jenna Bush?

If you insist on the future president being George Bush there is always George P. Bush, George W. Bush's nephew and George H. W. Bush's grandson.
                http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

I Hillary becomes president, will she bomb serbia?
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

Maybe Jeb Bush can continue the Bush tradition of having mid-east wars.

Comment

As the events unfold, partition is becoming a more favorable option.

It becomes increasingly difficult to uphold the British Empire status quo with regard to Iraq.

I don't believe that we should follow the dictates of Iraq's neighbors on this score either. They have their own reasons (Kurdish minorities, etc.) to not accept a partition while not carrying any water in trying to keep the country together.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Queen Victoria is obviously responsible of the Iraq mess.
                        Statistical anomaly.
                        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Rather the later Empire. Post WWI.

In any event, I'm not primarily trying to place blame, but rather to look at the origins of Iraq and what that means for an acceptable outcome to the current situation for us (the US and the West).
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Turkey will never accept a kurdish state
                            I need a foot massage

Comment

Neither will Iran, nor Syria, and so on. Last I've seen, none of these countries have been carrying water to try to keep the country together.

Comment

Working...
                              X