Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would NFL players still be hilarious obese if they played more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would NFL players still be hilarious obese if they played more?

This always struck me as odd...for such a slow-paced game with all the standing around that football has...why do they only play a handful of games?

Compared to hockey and baseball their schedule is pathetic. Why?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

baseball has even more standing around

most hockey players will tell you that the season is just a prolonged afair of killing their bodies.

and as it is, football players often retire with their bodies as broken down shells of what they used to be.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

That says more about their diet and athleticism than anything else.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

No, it has more to do with getting your dick knocked in the dirt most plays.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
          and as it is, football players often retire with their bodies as broken down shells of what they used to be.
          Indeed. Incredibly violent game with players needing a week to recover from all their aches and pains. A lot of players can hardly walk the next day after a game. And after they retire it can really be bad.. especially for offensive or defensive linemen.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            No, it has more to do with getting your dick knocked in the dirt most plays.
            Dirt is soft. As is all of that gear.

Comment

Dirt is soft? That may be, unless it's on top of ground.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                Dirt is soft? That may be, unless it's on top of ground.
                Go ahead and get knocked down by a man running 5 miles an hour onto dirt and compare it to getting knocked down by a man skating 30 miles an hour onto ice.

Dirt is soft.

Comment

I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer this question; it's like asking if hockey players would still be mentally retarded if they didn't fight so much. It's possible, but how would you test the theory?
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                    I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer this question; it's like asking if hockey players would still be mentally retarded if they didn't fight so much. It's possible, but how would you test the theory?
                    By watching pansy European hockey...

Comment

So do you expect real answers, Asher, or just bites?
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The appropriate comparison re: schedule is rugby. The set-piece nature of the game itself is why there are those big fat linemen. You don't see fat wide receivers, because those guys have to run on every play (that they're in for).

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                          So do you expect real answers, Asher, or just bites?
                          There are no real answers other than these guys are, by and large, out of shape.

Comment

Hmm, well still mentally retarded... so apparently it's an element of hockey

Seriously though, play football for a while. It's not as pansy as you think it is, by far.

Not only are you being THROWN to the ground at much more than 5 mph, but it's happening EVERY play for three hours. The only ones who aren't being thrown to the ground, are the ones who are sprinting at around a 5.0 second 40m dash every play. Suicides anyone?

Hockey is certainly hard on the body, and probably harder than football given the 3 games a week on average they play ... but not that much harder, and certainly not harder game per game. Don't you think that if football COULD have more than 16 games a year they would, given how much money they make? If they held 32 games a year, they'd probably nearly double their intake of what's already by far the most monetarily successful sport out there...
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

There are no real answers other than these guys are, by and large, out of shape.
                              This is NOT true. Football players are in far, far better shape than most athletes. Lineman may be 300 pounds, but it's muscle, not fat. Still not good for them - their hearts aren't any bigger or stronger, for the most part - but they're extremely strong guys. And that's only the linemen; the rest of the team are much smaller, 200-250 pounds (and less for some WRs) and extremely lean muscular types. Brian Urlacher probably has at most 5 pounds of fat on his body, and for the life of me I don't know where he puts it.

Baseball players are fat (ie, the Puckster). Football players are NOT fat.
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X