No announcement yet.

Specing out new PC..need input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I better go to sleep, this thread is getting too raunchy!
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

By the way, AMD has quite a few dual core chips out (and has had them out much longer than Intel). Intel is currently at the top of the technology hump, but unless you're spending a pile of money, you might find that AMD's x2 processors (dual core) are in a good price-performance spot right now.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I suggest waiting to buy until after the new year as Windows Vista is coming out.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Nah, you can easily build a new machine that will be 100% vista compliant. My current one is, anywho, and that's a $800 build what, 9 months ago now?

You'll just have to buy Vista when it comes out - if you want to, anyway - but if you're system building and not buying a prebuilt machine, it doesn't matter (you'd have to anyway).

Comment

I'm thinking that if he waited a couple of months he'd get Vista included with his new system and wouldn't have to spend $150 on an upgade to vista.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I don't think you would want a brandnew OS anyways..

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                I don't think you would want a brandnew OS anyways..

JM
                At least not until SP1 comes out.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Living on the bleeding edge

I'm running Vista RC2 24/7
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

The "demand" games I have for one is Microsoft Flight Simulator X
                    Yeah, the recommended requirements for Flight Sim X are ridiculous.
                    System: 3.6 GHz CPU or equivalent
                    RAM: 2048 MB
                    Video Memory: 512 MB

Anyone got any suggestions for vid cards that cost less than US$100?
                    Golfing since 67

Comment

Flight Simulator X has a different graphics engine if played on a DirectX 10 video card (eg, GeForce 8800) and Windows Vista. Much prettier, runs a bit better.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        I'm thinking that if he waited a couple of months he'd get Vista included with his new system and wouldn't have to spend $150 on an upgade to vista.
                        I'm assuming he's building a computer and not buying a POS from a retail store

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Flight Simulator X has a different graphics engine if played on a DirectX 10 video card (eg, GeForce 8800) and Windows Vista. Much prettier, runs a bit better.
                          Okay, thanks for the info, but do I need to spend $500 on a GeForce 8800. Isn't there something cheaper?
                          Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                            Okay, thanks for the info, but do I need to spend $500 on a GeForce 8800. Isn't there something cheaper?
                            Of course, but nothing DirectX 10 and any DirectX 9 card you get for $100 will not run the game well at all.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

****e. Well that just throws my budget plans all to hell. I was planning on spending about HK$3,000, less than US$400 for the whole computer.
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

I'm assuming he's building a computer and not buying a POS from a retail store
                                Snoopy

I definetly do not want a POS

What I am doing is speccing out because I do not feel comfortable yet "building" but I know certain componets I want and then have someone tell me what it will take (i.e.motherboards, cooling systems, ability to expand RAM, not be locked in with a board I can add anything else to)

I had asked a question earlier about difference between AMD 64 and dual processors, what I was "envisioning" was a 64 bit processor versus two processor, and someone posted it didnt make sense, my point was I really enjoy AMD performance over the past few years, If I could get a comparitable product, I would rather have AMD unless of course Intel or someone else has something proven faster.

What i do not want is to have to overclock a processor, I just want the best machine my money can buy, sort of within reason, that will last several years.

Thanks for input

Gramps
                                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                                X