Specing out new PC..need input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specing out new PC..need input

I have some change and am upgrading my gaming rig.

Well, getting a new one

A couple question, I am running an AMD64 bit 3400+

Does a dual core really make a faster processor when compared to a 64 bit processor?

(What is fastest Processor out now?)

I was told today if your motherboard can handle it, you can put two Graphics Cards side by side and they will act as one (i.e.two 1900 will be like a 3800..does that seem reasonable or is it teh Kommunist lie of teh daze?)

4 Gigs of Ram will function on an up to date motherboard?

One option I am planning is purchasing an HP or Gateway and simply adding a few things to it.....

One other thing, is there a so called "Best Site" to order a specced out Built for you PC?

Thanks for feedback from those in teh know

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Unless you play demanding 3D games, no need for 2 graphics cards. If you wait a month or two, slightly-below-bleeding-edge DX10 cards will be out, I'd go with one of those.

Fastest processor right now is an Intel Core2 Extreme X6800. Quad core will be out soon, but not worth the extra expense and heat. Go with a lower-end Core2 Duo like the E6300, E6400 or E6600.

For motherboard, the new nVidia i680-based mobos for Core2 Duo are out now, they're sweet as hell. Pair it with an nVidia DX10 graphics card (Geforce 8800 :drool for a kick-ass machine.

4GB RAM will function, but it's overkill right now. 2GB is more than enough.

If you have patience, you can build it yourself. Otherwise, www.monarchcomputer.com will build you a PC from parts you select yourself, and will charge a small building fee.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Just make sure everything fits, if you want two graphics cards, you want to have PCI-E cards. Because those are the ones that are meant for mobos that can handle two cards.

I don't know if this has changed during the last year, I don't follow much of the hardware news.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        Unless you play demanding 3D games, no need for 2 graphics cards. If you wait a month or two, slightly-below-bleeding-edge DX10 cards will be out, I'd go with one of those.
        The "demand" games I have for one is Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Fastest processor right now is an Intel Core2 Extreme X6800. Quad core will be out soon, but not worth the extra expense and heat. Go with a lower-end Core2 Duo like the E6300, E6400 or E6600.

So dual core is better than say an AMD 64 bit processor?

For motherboard, the new nVidia i680-based mobos for Core2 Duo are out now, they're sweet as hell. Pair it with an nVidia DX10 graphics card (Geforce 8800 :drool for a kick-ass machine.

I am not up to speed on motherboards so will put my input as far as what I feel i want and then have a tech tell me what motherboard to go with

4GB RAM will function, but it's overkill right now. 2GB is more than enough.

So I could just have the ability to expand to more RAM later and then this should suffice

If you have patience, you can build it yourself. Otherwise, www.monarchcomputer.com will build you a PC from parts you select yourself, and will charge a small building fee.
        For me I want that warm and fuzzy feeling of an official tech type who can help me versus me putting something together that wont properly communicate with each other..thanks for that website, I may call them later if its possible, need to check, so they can walk me through what I want and what is possible..so that I wont order wrong combo or forget and leave something out

Thanks again for the response back my friend

Gramps

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          Just make sure everything fits, if you want two graphics cards, you want to have PCI-E cards. Because those are the ones that are meant for mobos that can handle two cards.

I don't know if this has changed during the last year, I don't follow much of the hardware news.
          Thanks Pekka

Thats what I was told, you needed PCI-E

I do have one item, I was wondering if you buy a system off the shelf and it has an onboard Graphics card and you want to update it, what happens to the Graphics card the system comes with?

(how does it "NOT" read graphics?)

Gramps

Comment

Well at least the days when these dual card systems came and the whole PCI-E thing, I think the problem was that many of these cards wouldn't work together. That is if you had two different cards that were not the same, they wouldn't necessarily work, chances were they wouldn't work I guess.

I do not know what the status on that is today, but I would advice to carefully see, that if you go for the two cards, that they've been tested and they work together.

Because every now and then you get a mobo that for some weird reason doesn't work with these cards when they are set up on two PCI-E slots etc.. so you want to find out if they really work and have been tested, does the manufacturer guarantee they will work? If so, then no problem.

Because even if you get two of the same cards, you might still have a problem that the setting doesn't work in the mobo you have. So just make sure before you buy they work together.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

More power! Uh, uh, uh! [/Tim Allen]
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                More power! Uh, uh, uh! [/Tim Allen]
                Pretty much so
                My sweetheart wife of 21+ years calls my PC Station my "BASS BOAT"

We came into a little change and she announces to me she wants me to get a new gaming rig my way..

sooooooo..it is as you say kind one

"MORE POWER" Argh Argh Argh

Comment

Sounds like a sweet thing you're putting together anyway And your wife actually says you to get a new 'gaming rig'? Damn. She's a keeper!
                  In da butt.

Comment

Hmmm - what did she already buy that she's giving you the green light on a new rig?
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                      So dual core is better than say an AMD 64 bit processor?
                      Erm - all new dual core processors support 64 bit instructions, so the question is meaningless. All the options you will be considering will support 64 bits.

Dual core is nice for the price, try to get it .
                      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Hmmm - what did she already buy that she's giving you the green light on a new rig?
                        My heart and hers linked for over 21 years

She says I am very special to her
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Thue

Erm - all new dual core processors support 64 bit instructions, so the question is meaningless. All the options you will be considering will support 64 bits.

Dual core is nice for the price, try to get it .
                          Ok..Thats why I am trying to learn

Today, learned this

Thanks much

Comment

Nice T-shirt, Gramps.

Comment

Nice T-shirt, Gramps.
                              Okay Gramps, you ready to make a down payment on your new "RIG"
                              GrandpaTroll's bite is louder than his bark, so before approaching, immunization is highly recommended.
                              "We live in the Land of the Free only because of the Brave!"
                              Chocolate is not better than sex, but if you think chocolate is better, please tell me where you buy your chocolate!

Comment

Working...
                              X