Specing out new PC..need input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks good, but:

1. You could very easily get by with a less beefy PSU. Unless you're running SLI, older power-hungry processors, and a large RAID setup (which you're not), 500W will be plenty. I'd personally go with the Enermax Liberty 500. All the extra power does is put out extra heat and noise, and cost you more.

2. Core2 X6800 is indeed blazing fast, but after the E6600, or E6700 if you push it, bang per buck drops considerably. Consider stepping down on the processor, and adding another hard drive or two (you can never have enough storage space).

3. 4GB is overkill, too; unless you use an x64 OS, you won't be making full use of them, and if you do use an x64 OS, be prepared for software and hardware incompatibility issues (especially in games).

4. For the graphics card, here's where you'd do well to step up. Instead of this top-of-the-line ATI DX9 card, go with a top-of-the-line nVidia DX10 card, the GeForce 8800GT.

5. Finally, make sure you're getting a motherboard that will let these top-notch components shine. If you go with the nVidia card, like I would, you should go with an i680-based nVidia motherboard.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
      It looks good, but:

1. You could very easily get by with a less beefy PSU. Unless you're running SLI, older power-hungry processors, and a large RAID setup (which you're not), 500W will be plenty. I'd personally go with the Enermax Liberty 500. All the extra power does is put out extra heat and noise, and cost you more.

2. Core2 X6800 is indeed blazing fast, but after the E6600, or E6700 if you push it, bang per buck drops considerably. Consider stepping down on the processor, and adding another hard drive or two (you can never have enough storage space).

3. 4GB is overkill, too; unless you use an x64 OS, you won't be making full use of them, and if you do use an x64 OS, be prepared for software and hardware incompatibility issues (especially in games).
      I been running X64 for a year and no noticeable isues

4. For the graphics card, here's where you'd do well to step up. Instead of this top-of-the-line ATI DX9 card, go with a top-of-the-line nVidia DX10 card, the GeForce 8800GT.

5. Finally, make sure you're getting a motherboard that will let these top-notch components shine. If you go with the nVidia card, like I would, you should go with an i680-based nVidia motherboard.
      Thanks for feedback though

Gramps
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Ars Technica Dec 2006 System Guide.

I'm not an early adopter (so I'd be in the "Hot Rod" category). I'm going to wait till there are more DX10 cards out, and prices have come down.

In the meantime I'm thinking about something along the lines of an ATI X1900 or X1950 PRO (plus mobo upgrade and Core2 Duo - E6400 or maybe E6600, 2GB RAM). But I've been thinking about it for a few months - I might just wait a few more, I'm in no rush.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Gramps household gets two new pc's

I got a brand new PC in December...HP7690 with 400 Gig HD, DUO CORE E6400 INTEL Processor 6 gigs RAM (3.5 use now and the rest when Vista is installed as a free upgrade), I added a Radeon X1600 PRO 512 RAM Graphics along with a True Power 650 Watt power source

My wife loved it after adding Pinnacle Software for Editing movies and LightScribe for CD/DVD Label Creator and she marvelled at what Gramps had

Then she had an

She sez.."Gramps" wouldnt you like a new one (PC)

Gramps sez to Mrs.Troll"Well, mine is older and out of date"

Mrs.Troll tells me to get another and give her mine and my old one which she now has goes to our son..

Soooo......

I did

Here is my new PC which i will have tommorrow

HP M7750N VISTA X2 5000+ (64 bit AMD processor), 4 GIGS RAM, 400 GIG HD, 2 DVDS (Plus my two external drives) along with a very nice Graphics Card, RADEON X1950 PRO 256 MB PCI-E DDR3, (drool)NEO 550 Power Supply. I picked up OFFICE 2007 as well. I only watched VISTA a few minutes but it looks sweet and will so even more on my Polaroid Flat Panel HDTV monitor 13.5 inch X 24 Inch

Ok..so my babydoll spoils me but after all, being Staff, I had to reinvest my Capital Investments profits, only about 74% could be invested directly into Apolyton Staff/Administration funding, so the rest I used to invest in Entertainment Outlay

I shall let one and all know how it lays out when I unfold it tommorrow night

Gramps da giddy 'n excited one
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
          X