Specing out new PC..need input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369

I'm assuming he's building a computer and not buying a POS from a retail store
    Retail store? Screw that. Built to order!

You get almost the same parts (maybe a month or two older instead of the stuff released just yesterday) and you have to pay $50-$100 to the company making he PC but in return you get loads of software (including the OS) bundled in for free and you get free tech support. The free software along makes the built to order from a major manufacturer cheaper.

I used to build all of my PCs for my family and friends back in the 90's but it just isn't worth it any more. The build to order direct sellers have made their systems so cheap and get them to your house so fast it isn't worth the hassle of putting it together yourself and paying retail for everything (including software). Just order direct, get more, and save.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
      Okay, thanks for the info, but do I need to spend $500 on a GeForce 8800. Isn't there something cheaper?
      There will be cheaper DX10 cards in a few months. I imagine nVidia will come out with an 8600 line, and a GS line, and maybe an 8300 line. ATI will have cards out soon, too.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Retail store? Screw that. Built to order!

You get almost the same parts (maybe a month or two older instead of the stuff released just yesterday) and you have to pay $50-$100 to the company making he PC but in return you get loads of software (including the OS) bundled in for free and you get free tech support. The free software along makes the built to order from a major manufacturer cheaper.

I used to build all of my PCs for my family and friends back in the 90's but it just isn't worth it any more. The build to order direct sellers have made their systems so cheap and get them to your house so fast it isn't worth the hassle of putting it together yourself and paying retail for everything (including software). Just order direct, get more, and save.
        Any certain websites youwould suggest my friend?
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I had asked a question earlier about difference between AMD 64 and dual processors, what I was "envisioning" was a 64 bit processor versus two processor, and someone posted it didnt make sense, my point was I really enjoy AMD performance over the past few years, If I could get a comparitable product, I would rather have AMD unless of course Intel or someone else has something proven faster.

In summary: Both Intel and AMD's chips are 64-bit and come in dual-core variants -- Intel's top end comes in quad-core now as well.

Intel's Core 2 Duos spank AMD's Athlon X2s in performance, but X2s are cheaper.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            I had asked a question earlier about difference between AMD 64 and dual processors, what I was "envisioning" was a 64 bit processor versus two processor, and someone posted it didnt make sense, my point was I really enjoy AMD performance over the past few years, If I could get a comparitable product, I would rather have AMD unless of course Intel or someone else has something proven faster.

In summary: Both Intel and AMD's chips are 64-bit and come in dual-core variants -- Intel's top end comes in quad-core now as well.

Intel's Core 2 Duos spank AMD's Athlon X2s in performance, but X2s are cheaper.
            Asher, please explain Quad core..is that 4X a normal processor?

Thanks

Gramps

Comment

Yeah, exactly.

Core 2 Solo = 1 Core 2.
              Core 2 Duo = 2 Core 2s.
              Core 2 Quad = 4 Core 2s.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                Yeah, exactly.

Core 2 Solo = 1 Core 2.
                Core 2 Duo = 2 Core 2s.
                Core 2 Quad = 4 Core 2s.
                Thanks

I did not know this

So I would be pretty good on processing with a Quad Cor, a new Graphics card and 2+ RAM

What speed is a quad core?

(I mean is it say a 1100 X 4 for a 4400..or is it a Quad Core 4000+?)

Thanks

Comment

The numbers now are all models and not indicative of clock speed.

For games, right now, a quad core isn't much use for you -- most games only use one, and some use two, but almost none use four.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

Any certain websites youwould suggest my friend?
                    Any major direct sales manufacturer should work. I'd especially look at Dell and Alienware. Alien tends to be expensive though.
                    Last edited by Dinner; November 16, 2006, 19:35.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                      Thanks

I did not know this

So I would be pretty good on processing with a Quad Cor, a new Graphics card and 2+ RAM

What speed is a quad core?

(I mean is it say a 1100 X 4 for a 4400..or is it a Quad Core 4000+?)

Thanks

You should really only consider Core2 Duo, IMO. Core2 Quads are inelegant chips with 2 Core2 Duo dies bolted on, and lose all the awesome power consumption and thermal characterestics of the Duos. It might have been worth it were there software available to take advantage of 4 cores, but efficiently utilising even 2 cores is still not widespread among most applications one would use.

For RAM, 2GB of DDR2 800 MHz is plenty, and with the processor and RAM and a new DX10 card you will be spanking all benchmarks.
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Thanks LordShiva

I have signed off on one of my settlements and having one more pending, just waiting for it to come in

Gramps "Da Gamer" Troll

Comment

The Nvidia 8800GTS is a very good, DX10 card for the money. The Intel Core Duo chips are extremely good. Nvidia is getting good reviews from their 680 and 650 chipsets. 2GB of memory is enough.

The other thing to consider in that you'll need about a 400 to 450-watt power supply to put all of these components together, and you might need an upgrade there.

That's my basic summary of components. ArsTechnica.com should be coming out with a new system guide anytime now. I recommend Newegg.com for hardware purchases, for do it yourself jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Eroberer
                            The Nvidia 8800GTS is a very good, DX10 card for the money. The Intel Core Duo chips are extremely good. Nvidia is getting good reviews from their 680 and 650 chipsets. 2GB of memory is enough.

The other thing to consider in that you'll need about a 400 to 450-watt power supply to put all of these components together, and you might need an upgrade there.

That's my basic summary of components. ArsTechnica.com should be coming out with a new system guide anytime now. I recommend Newegg.com for hardware purchases, for do it yourself jobs.
                            Thanks

I will "specify" what I want but will have a site do it so if it has problems I have tech service to go to

This is however why i started the thread..I "knew" I would need certain things such as the correct motherboard and now I see a correct power supply

I am wondering about cooling, would the processor cool themselves along with the graphics card or is additional source required?

Gramps

Comment

The processor will come with a stock cooler, and if you're not overclocking, it will be good enough. If you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty (or paying one of the more enthusiast-geared sites to build your PC for you), you would do well to get a good aftermarket processor cooler like the Scythe Infinity Plus or the Tuniq Tower. They will give you great overclocking headroom if you decide to do that, and even if you don't, will be alot quieter than the stock cooler.

OCing graphics cards isn't quite as common, and I'm not even sure if there are aftermarket coolers yet that fit the new DX10 cards.

Comment

Possible PC Found, any feedback?

I know a person who has helped me with PC's for years and will build one for me as follows:

It has an 850W power supply, meaning it will run everything included with ease, and if you choose to ever add to it, you will never have to worry about needing an upgrade.

The components will put out a lot of heat, so the case is one of the highest rated cases as far as keeping everything cool and from over heating.

It has the processor that we talked about, the Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe processor in it. Every review has said that it is blazingly fast and handles games better than any other processor on the market.

Tied into that are 4GB of memory, four 1GB sticks. The memory in this computer can be upgraded to 8GB, once 2GB sticks become cheaper.

It has a 320GB hard drive with REALLY FAST transfer rates, meaning it will put and pull information (like maps in MS Simulator) very quickly, helping the gameplay.

The graphics card I chose is an ATI Radeon X1950XTX, which is top of the line. So top of the line that of the 100+ reviews I have read, not one person has needed to add another graphics card to get the desired performance. Every review has mentioned that the graphics capabilites have far superceded the game's requirements. If, for some reason, some new game comes out, this graphics card IS able to be run with another, and the motherboard is already set up for that.

It also has 2 double layer DVD burner drives and a front access USB, Firewire, and memory card reader.

The operating system on there is a full upgradeable (meaning you'll be able to upgrade to the new operating system, Vista) version of Windows XP Professional.

What do you think and perhaps what would one expect to pay for someone to build this rig?

Thanks

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Working...
                                X