What would I do If......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would I do If......

What could i do if i didnt do what i do?
    I thought bout this the other day as i was driving home from work. I realized i dont have any experience to do anything but be a nurse.. I spent over 10,000 dollars on my education and realized that i couldnt even get a job as a checker at a local grocery store if i couldnt be a nurse any longer. I wonder how many others have thought of a back up plan or have one if they decide they dont want to continue in their chosen career. I am almost sure i dont want to be a nurse the rest of my life but at this point i dont have a choice
    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

If you've been a nurse your whole life, I would assume you have considerable experience managing people as well as caring for patients. Those are transferrable skills.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

You could sell your Soul to Satan and go into Sales for pharmaceutical goods.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        You could sell your Soul to Satan and go into Sales for pharmaceutical goods.

but what if i wanted out of the medical field all together? I couldnt leave and find another job in anything. i was a bartender before but who am i kidding im 37 yo and who the hell wants a
        37 yo waitress when they can have a 21 yo.
        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

Here's a story about my father-in-law (in Texas!), who's a great guy and owns his own company:

Last year, he was having lunch with some folks (including my wife and daughter) at a restaurant they were trying for the first time, and everybody was having trouble figuring out what to order. So he did what he always does, which is ask the waitresss. The waitress asked everybody a couple of questions, then told them what they wanted -- told, not suggested, shooting down any opposition to her choices. everyone loved what she picked.

At the end of the meal, my father-in-law asked if she'd ever done anything but waitress; she hadn't. He then handed her his card and said, "You're not a waitress, you're a salesman. You come see me and we'll get you a real job."

She did. He hired her. And on the first payday, she came to his office in tears; she'd never made anywhere close to that much money in her life.

It's not what you've done; it's who you are, what you're capapble of, and getting others to see it.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

i was a bartender before but who am i kidding im 37 yo and who the hell wants a 37 yo waitress when they can have a 21 yo.
            Depends on the clients. Not all bars cater to college kids.

Seriously though, it's easier to train someone who knows how to work as a nurse then it is to train someone who's never held a job. You've shown you can get a job, hold the job, work very hard through the day, that you can follow complicated instructions, that you can work with all manner of doctors and systems.

Those skills come in handy everywhere.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Oh, and one other thing, I think Mrs. T was trying to ask all of us what our back up plans were.

For myself, I have a few backups. I worked for two summers as a delivery driver, and I have done inventory work as well as data entry over other summers. My brother suggested that should my degree ever fail to get me work that I would make an excellent short range delivery driver due to my experience in the warehouse, with computers and with driving. So something to think about should I not end up teaching with my history degree.
              Last edited by Ben Kenobi; October 28, 2006, 20:50.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

It's not what you've done; it's who you are, what you're capapble of, and getting others to see it.

amen

never give up hope

never give up trying

back up plan....just trust in myself
                anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

my backup plan is to herd llama's in the Andes

or become a Pirate

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                    my backup plan is to herd llama's in the Andes

or become a Pirate

JM

what an interesting career choice .. I wonder what skills that would entail.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                      She did. He hired her. And on the first payday, she came to his office in tears; she'd never made anywhere close to that much money in her life.
                      Part of those tears were gratitude and part of them were frustration at so many wasted years of waitressing.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

MrsT, I went into $200,000 in debt to get my MD. So, barring a ridiculous string of good luck in Vegas or a big win on Millionaire, I'm bloody well stuck for decades, whether I like it or not.

I know exactly what you mean.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I don't have a backup plan per se, but I do have a government security clearance, which I'm told can always be parlayed into a job in the private sector. So I guess that's the plan.

Comment

Its funny cause i see my self working my ass off in this field and drivng my kids to go to school and after i have done it i realize im not better off now then i was when i went to school.
                            Guy you have a lot more invested in ur career and ur right u cant recoup ur expenses with out what ya said.
                            The resaon i brought this up is cause one surgeon i work with got suspended for perscription drug abuse and he had his license taken away from him. I mean like, guynmer this man spent 200,000 plus on schooling and he ****ed up, now what? I was thinking i wanted to do more things with my life but am not sure i can live on less then what im used to making and then thought what the hell am i skilled to do? I have faith in my self as a good person but suck as far as skilled in any real trade. Even working on cars has gotten harder and i cant even do that unless i work for a garage that works on classic autos. What a **** short of a dollar event!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                              Oh, and one other thing, I think Mrs. T was trying to ask all of us what our back up plans were.
                              Hmmm... should the sawed off double barrel be the backup, or the .40 S&W?
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                              X