laptop help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop help

I have been having trouble with my laptop just today.

What should I look out for if it is a virus?

I have ran spybot it found some things, but I don't know what else I should do. What happens is that the laptop runs fine and then it slows down and crashes. It was working fine yesterday and just today it has started acting up.

It crashed up on me this morning, and since this afternoon has been crashing all the time.

Suggestions?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Run a full virus-scan (update your definitions first). If that doesn't fix it, and if you haven't installed any new device drivers recently, it could be a hardware issue (overheating, problem with the hard drive or memory, etc.).
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Are any of the fans spinning up excessively? It might have cooling issues that are causing it to throttle back, and then crash altogether?

Is it noticeably dusty inside?
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

It runs and then it crashes about every 15 mins or so, so it won't complete the virus scan.

I'm really not sure what's causing it, it's been very reliable up until today.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Is it very hot when it crashes?

JJM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Try to run your maintenance in Safe Mode.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

another thing to do is a detailed memory scan

memory can fail, which will cause a crash

also try scandisk or whatever it is called

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well i've removed the battery.

See if it still crashes now. Running just on AC power.

Comment

Ok, here's the deal. Still not quite right.

It will run with just the battery in it, no AC power, no charging. It will start up and log in just fine.

It will also run just fine when I turn the laptop on if it does not have the battery inside, and I am running on AC power.

The laptop will not run with the battery and the machine plugged in. It will start up, it will log in, but it will slow down and crash if I try to use the internet at all.

So is there some kind of conflict between the battery and the wireless adaptor?

Comment

Working...
                  X