No announcement yet.

Did God create sin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your moral system, then, could be easily adapted to be nontheistic, and yet still encompass the entirety of your morality.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

(reading the thread I posted, reading this one, remembering why I hate these threads)
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The two Greatest Commandments are these:
        Love God with all your heart.
        Love your fellow man as yourself.

and they didn't make the top ten?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
          The two Greatest Commandments are these:
          Love God with all your heart.
          Love your fellow man as yourself.

and they didn't make the top ten?
          They were "boiled down" by JC from the top ten and all others. In Matthew, I believe.
          1011 1100

Comment

The Greatest Commandment
            34Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[b] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[c] 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              Ethics is right and wrong. Without religion, there is no right or wrong.
              You can have morality w/o religion. But, since humanity has pretty much always been religious, religion has been the primary source for morality.

Meh.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

So moral atheists would obviously not subscribe to the first, and would instead follow the second as their first and greatest commandment.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

They were "boiled down" by JC from the top ten and all others. In Matthew, I believe.
                  Love G-d with all your heart (and all your soul, and all your strength) is of course from Devarim (what you heathen call Deuteronomy). The Golden rule is also in the Torah.

Back to the usual pointless arguing.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

You love God out of His goodness, His greatness, and what He has done for you.

Not out of fear of what He might do to you if you don't love Him.

Note that many Christian interpreations don't include hell and other negative interpretations. I think that the Christian focus on hell for a period of time distorted people's view of Christianity and promoted misunderstandings.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      If you believe God created all, then he created sin. QED.

I believe Christianity would support that statement, as God created free will, and thus the potential for sin (and the ability to sin). The "Devil" is still subject to God and created by him (as if he weren't, then it wouldn't be a monotheism).
                      The Catholics believe that God gave Man the freedom to sin, not that God created sin
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                        You can have morality w/o religion. But, since humanity has pretty much always been religious, religion has been the primary source for morality.
                        Even this I disagree with - consider, instead: humans are innately moral, and this has been reflected in religion.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Put it this way: religion has been the primary source for the justification of morality.

It's the lazy way to moralise; if you can't come up with a reason something is wrong, then you can always claim God said so.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            Put it this way: religion has been the primary source for the justification of morality.

It's the lazy way to moralise; if you can't come up with a reason something is wrong, then you can always claim God said so.
                            Okay, so let's get Socratic: what do you mean by "morality?"

Crap, I can't believe I'm getting dragged into this again. Oh well, at least it's on a weekend this time.
                            1011 1100

Comment

A set of beliefs which govern what human beings should do and what they shouldn't.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Should, you say. Towards what end?
                                1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X