No announcement yet.

Did God create sin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I've never figured out here is why atheists are so consumed with religion and starting threads about religion.

Looks to me like you'd rather talk about something you believe.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      That's ridiculous.

One can have strong ethical sense of right and wrong without having a formal religious belief, or any religious/spiritual belief for that matter.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I don't believe that.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What I've never figured out here is why atheists are so consumed with religion and starting threads about religion.

Looks to me like you'd rather talk about something you believe.

Some atheists are sincere in wanting to have respectable dialogue with religious people.

Other ahteists are merely being jerks and seek opportunities to flame/ridicule religious people.

Comment

I would wager that the vast majority of atheists don't start threads on religion
            However, many atheists see religion as a very negative force upon the world, and hence if it is possible to convince people out of it or at least inform them of another view on the matter....great.
            Many people in general just like to argue

Now, why don't you get to responding
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I don't believe that.

Then I guess you're closed-minded, with an unreasonably strictly narrow conception of ideas.

Comment

I don't believe that.
                Counter the points that have been raised in opposition to your view, sir

Comment

From a Christian perspective, I would say that God created the potential for sin but did not create sin itself. God is holy so it would be impossible for God to create sin. But God did create the potential for sin when he gave humanity free will. Humanity created sin.
                  'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                  G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I don't believe that.
                    I do. It's quite obvious that many atheists have strong moral urges and complex moral systems. I just happen to think that, on closer examination, no non-religious system of ethics provides an adequate answer to the question "why be good?" Atheists are still capable of being moral because, like all (or almost all--don't know enough about APD to say conclusively) human beings, they still have a conscience.

I found one of the more recent threads I started to try and explain my position, BTW. As a bonus, it includes some nonsense from Philosophiser and several pages of failure-to-communicate between myself and BlackCat:

1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Slowwy, let me give you an example.

Does this mean, that if we were to go by your opinion, that atheists cannot have any moral qualms about obvious wrongs, such as murder, rape, stealing, and so on just because they do not believe in any God?

Comment

I'm too lazy to read several pages of that
                        But tell me, in a religious system of ethics, what is the answer to "why be good?"

From what I see, the reason tends to be "Because if you aren't, God will punish you". But that isn't particularly a reason to be good, only to act in a way God tells you.
                        No moral system can provide you a reason to be good, because no moral system is logical or rational. You have no reason to be "good". You have no reason not to be "good". You have no reason for doing anything, except the reasons you give yourself.

I suppose I could simply modify the religionist answer: You should be good because if you aren't, others will punish you. I prefer being good because I want to be good.

Comment

In fact, some psychologist (I'll try and find his name) suggested that humans are moral because they recognise that other humans are entities like themselves, and similarly capable of feeling pain. Don't need religion to realise that.
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Humans created the concepts of God and sin.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                              In fact, some psychologist (I'll try and find his name) suggested that humans are moral because they recognise that other humans are entities like themselves, and similarly capable of feeling pain. Don't need religion to realise that.
                              Better I treat my fellow human as I wish to be treated myself, than to treat other people as ordered to by a religion.

Theists worry that atheists have nothing to keep them on the rails. Atheists, however, may worry about theists who only stay on the rails for the fear of God, rather than for the love of man.

Comment

Atheists don't understand religionists at all, I am thinking. I don't do things out of a fear of God. I do things out of a love of God and a love of Man.

Fear isn't a primary function in Christianity. The two Greatest Commandments are these:
                                Love God with all your heart.
                                Love your fellow man as yourself.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X