Quit Strasbourg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit Strasbourg

Remember this certain internet petition a while ago that demanded the European Parliament would stop rotating between Strasbourg and Brussels? Spiffor didn't like it too much, and he'll like this even less:

'Quit Strasbourg' public tells EU

One million people have signed an internet petition calling for an end to the European Parliament's monthly sessions in Strasbourg.

The parliament, which does most of its work in Brussels, pays 200m euros (£135m) annually for what many MEPs condemn as a "travelling circus".

European Commission Vice-President Margot Wallstrom praised the petition.

In 1992, EU leaders agreed that MEPs should hold 12 "plenary" sessions every year in Strasbourg.

The move means not only more than 700 MEPs but also their aides and numerous documents have to travel the 454km (280 miles) from Brussels to Strasbourg.

Politicians 'must act'

The "Oneseat" internet campaign was launched in June by Swedish MEP Cecilia Malmstrom.

But a decision to scrap the Strasbourg location would have to be made unanimously by the 25 EU member governments, and France is strongly opposed.

Gary Titley MEP, Labour leader in the European Parliament, said "one million European citizens have spoken - Europe's politicians now need to respond".

"Lip service will not be good enough. The EU wants citizens to engage - they have - and now the politicians must act.

"Strasbourg costs 200m euros a year - money which would be far better spent on investment in jobs or on more help for the developing world.

"We need to reform the European Parliament so it is more effective and is more trusted by people in the UK and all over Europe."

Rent row

Ms Wallstrom told the Brussels website EUpolitix.com that "for the Commission it is very important to show that we are welcoming an initiative involving so many citizens as this does and that we are happy to receive it".

"We would have to look at what sort of formal possibilities and legal possibilities we have. In this case it is very limited, everybody knows that beforehand."

Parliament president Josep Borrell tried but failed to get the question of ending the Strasbourg sessions on to the agenda of the European Union summit in December.

In April MEPs postponed plans to buy the Strasbourg buildings, because of concerns that the city of Strasbourg had been inflating the rent.

The city's mayor conceded that the rent included a sum he described as an insurance policy, in case the parliament should ever decide to move away.
    Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Published: 2006/09/19 09:59:50 GMT

© BBC MMVI
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

I mean there's government waste that's inherent in a non-competitive environment, and then there's blatant money-wasting.
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

I signed that one.
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Why?

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Duckie, you've never responded much to my taxi-driver derived trolls on the smuggling issue...

Comment

oh wow, an internet petition!!! THE WORLD SHALL TREMBLE!
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Belgium
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                Duckie, you've never responded much to my taxi-driver derived trolls on the smuggling issue...
                What? Where?
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Does seem like a bit of a waste of money.

Comment

I've been inside this enormous glass house....

Conclusion: Stop this moneywasting rubbish and keep it at one place.
                    It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Strasbourg > Brussels.
                      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

It IS waste of huge amounts of money.

Why would Spiffor be against this? That would be like being against all that is common sense, good and decent and be for evil, stupid and horrible.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Because he ascribes to the typical French view that the EU only exists to serve France's interests.

Comment

I'm all for one seat, lets move everything to Strasbourg

Comment

Aboslutely. By the way, I already signed this petition long time ago.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X