No announcement yet.

Do you plan on having children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had our 1 year old nephew over to babysit him last weekend and that kind of adventure is enough for us.
    Having your own kid is different. I hate other ppls kids. Mine I love, because I can mold them into a minime in hopes that they will do a better job than me at taking over the world.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

My wife and I don't have any yet (we're in our early twenties and just got married last month), but we're hoping to have three or four.
      I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

babies

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
          One kid, and one on the way. Thats enough.

Ditto-- We have a 3 year old and a baby due in 9 days.

and I have already seen that my wife has a note to inquire about good vasectomy doctors.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
            What about the option "We really want to have children but we can't have children"? Or does that not fit in with all the 'planning children' stuff.

You can plan all the children you want but children aren't like furniture, you can't plan them. Of course, sometimes it's possible, but there are a lot of people out there who waited long and were too late when they 'tried'.

True but adoption is also an option. So everyone can plan to have children . Success is a different matter.
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: Do you plan on having children?

Originally posted by ajbera

I absolutely don't want kids, and neither does the wife. We've been discussing more permanent birth control options, an IUD-type thing for her and vasectomy for me. We're in our mid-to-late 30s so it's no big deal, it's not like we're still in our 20s and might suddenly realize we've made a terrible mistake. No chilluns fo' us.
              Its a choice I totally respect. I don't think anyone should become a parent unless they really want it

My older sister has 4 great kids, my younger sis wants kids at some point. My wife's brother has an awesome stepdaughter. Several of our friends have children. So we're content to be aunts and uncles, happy to play with and take care of them for a while, then hand them back to their parents when we're done.
              Yup I'm sure it can be a satisfying role but its simply not the same. It doesn't even come close to the bond and attachment that comes with parenthood

Our minds have been made up for a long time - neither of us ever wanted our own kids. It was a sad decision to come to at the time, and there are still moments when I think how wonderful it would be to have a daughter (not really interested in having a son.) But those moments are few compared to how content I am to have freedom to do what I want whenever I want, freedom to go on vacations at the drop of a hat, etc. Many of the positives of having a child - watching them grow, sharing their triumphs and defeats, molding them - can be accomplished to an extent via unclehood.
              It sounds as if you understand exactly what you are giving up and what you gain by remaining childless. I do sometimes bemoan the lack of freedom but ist not complete. My wife and I would get away without our son for a few days. Once #2 comes along, we won't do that for a year or so but once breastfeeding ends, grand-parents are great for allowing us a getaway.

Plus, I have an awesome dog. He's kind of like a retarded child. (I know this will offend many of you - I don't care.)
              Not offended-- I just laughed. Pets cannot compare

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling

I never plan on leaving any heirs to squabble over my estates!

I never plan on leaving any estate to be squabbled over by my heirs

Spend it while you live !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader

We had our 1 year old nephew over to babysit him last weekend and that kind of adventure is enough for us.
                  Babysitting can be very tough if you are unaccustomed to children. A one year old can be very tough as they are mobile but not able to communicate very well.

As a parent, you are more used to your own child and can head off the tantrums more easily. If you know what they like and have established methods to deal with bad behavior, the result is a lot more happy playtime than most babysitters generally see.

Oh and with a 1 year old , they might just get bent out of shape simply because their parents are not there. very little you can do

Comment

The snip? isnt that a bit extreme? What about the pill? hormone injection? or the 5 year hormone implant? given that long they might even have got a pill for us
                    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

and I have already seen that my wife has a note to inquire about good vasectomy doctors.
                      I'd never do it. To many marriages fall apart and you never know what the future holds.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Oh, children might be nice one day. I plan on having two children:

A raven haired older daughter who will be as smart as she is beautiful; willful and independent who men will fawn over as a goddess. She'll also be trained in most major forms of martial combat and will be a whizz with a short sword.

A son who will be tall and strapping, a sensitive yet rugged man of the sciences. Curly dark hair and piercing blue eyes accent his fallen angel beauty. He'll also have the morals of a snake aside from his fierce loyalty to the family.

Anyway, this is my plan. What I get depends far more on whatever female friend I can trick into giving me an egg and a womb for 9 months.
                        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

I'd never do it. To many marriages fall apart and you never know what the future holds.

I'm 38. I don't wish any more children. If my marriage did split I would have responsibilities to these children anyway and I believe it would be incredibly difficult to be a good father to even more children while giving proper time to these.

If that means I lose out on a 22 year old nymphomaniac that is set on having a family, well so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty
                            The snip? isnt that a bit extreme? What about the pill? hormone injection? or the 5 year hormone implant? given that long they might even have got a pill for us

Not that extreme. Its a minor procedure.

My wife was on the pill for years and I guess she could do that again but the reality is that I do not want more children regardless. If I was a callous guy I could hope that rhis baby requires a caesarian so they can do a tubal while they are in there. But I am not that callous

Comment

well the snip is certainly far more extreme than the hormone implant, I guess thats what I am measuring it relative too. I guess I consider permenant surgical fertility more extreme than temporary chemical infertility.

But I can understand older men who have had kids considering the snip to be a realistic alternative, and may come round to that point of view when Im older.
                              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty
                                well the snip is certainly far more extreme than the hormone implant, I guess thats what I am measuring it relative too. I guess I consider permenant surgical fertility more extreme than temporary chemical infertility.

But I can understand older men who have had kids considering the snip to be a realistic alternative, and may come round to that point of view when Im older.
                                Good points but the potential side effects of the implants are many. With the snip I am done . Complications are pretty rare.

Oh if I was 28 instead of 38 I would not consider the snip. At 28 I wouldn't have the certainty I do now about what I want

Oh and the most common types of vasectomies now are reversible with a pretty good success rate. So its not permanent really. That doesn't play into my thinking since I wouldn't have the snip if I thought another family was a possibility. Its just FYI.

Comment

Working...
                                X