No announcement yet.

Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter DEAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet his wife won't be able to watch certain Gerry Anderson animations ever again
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I remember the interview after he had his baby near the croc fiasco, he told the news he was a professional and allways in control.

This proves you never know when the unexpected happens.

I did really enjoy his shows, and yes I too cheered on the snakes to snag him on occassion

R I P Mr. Irwin
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

RIP Steve.

Damn, what a bizzare way to go. The only reason he died was because the barb pierced his heart, stingrays arn't that dangerous, normally they just give people a nasty food injury, that the barb hit his heart is just a freak accident.

Comment

we will miss you dearly mister irwin.
          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Goodbye Croc Hunter...

RIP
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
              I remember the interview after he had his baby near the croc fiasco, he told the news he was a professional and allways in control.
              Only in front of crocs.

The thing is, a croc that you can see is one you can be prepared for. A stingray hidden is much harder. Maybe there aren't many dangerous species in the ocean in that area so Irwin let his guard down.

Too bad he died young.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

In Irwin's own words

* Email
                * Print
                * Normal font
                * Large font

September 5, 2006

Crikey means gee whiz, wow!

When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior, Australian bloke. And yet back here in my own country some people find me a little bit embarrassing.

Crikey, mate. You're far safer dealing with crocodiles and western diamondback rattlesnakes than the executives and the producers and all those sharks in the big MGM building.

I bled a lot. I got hit across the face. We couldn't film for seven days. I got whacked, underwater, across the face. I finished the shot, got into the boat and blood started coming out.

I get called an adrenaline junkie every other minute, and I'm fine with that.

I have no fear of losing my life. If I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.

I would never blame an animal if it bit me, because I'm at fault, not them. I heal so quickly. If you cut my arm off I would grow a new one.

I'm high as a kite, mate. I'm flat out like a lizard drinking, all the time. You know I have trouble just sitting here. You know, I'm just like, got to get up.

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Beerwah mourns its favourite son

* Email
                  * Print
                  * Normal font
                  * Large font

David Williams
                  September 4, 2006

Pastor Les Peel, whose Church on the Rise sings carols at Australia Zoo, said the Sunshine Coast town of Beerwah was in shock over Steve Irwin's death.

"Steve Irwin put Beerwah on the map. They've been tremendous for the district ... there's just disbelief on the street," said Pastor Peel.

"They guy was just so full of life. It's made me aware of my own mortality. You're just half a breath away. If that barb had been half an inch or an inch to one side, then he'd be saying, 'Crikey'."

Pausing frequently to collect his thoughts, the shaken pastor said his daughter-in-law hadn't stopped crying. And his daughter in Canberra had received emails from afar as Afghanistan after news spread of Irwin's death.

Pastor Peel, who had been in Beerwah for 14 years, said Irwin was a family man who treated his employees like family.

"If you go out there now they're bawling everywhere. Their dad has died."

Flowers were strewn in front of the zoo and TV crews were "everywhere", he said.

Phone calls from all over Australia alerted Pastor Peel to the news and when he thought of Irwin's daughter Bindi, the pastor said he burst into tears.

"My heart went out to Bindi. He was a great family man ... They've been grooming her to take over but, God help her, she's only eight."

Not everyone in the community agreed with Irwin, but his touch was undeniable.

"I've mixed with people from Prime Ministers to garbage men," Pastor Peel said. "But this guy was larger than life and he just reached everyone."

"It's just a tragedy ... this has really touched me. I was just sitting there before thinking 'Steve's dead'. I can't come to grips with it ... I just sort of feel empty."

Irwin and his wife Terri were "like heart and beat", he said, "and that little girl just had so much love for her daddy."

"They're going to grieve for a long time."

Irwin was a big supporter of Rotary in the Beerwah community. Bob McLean, immediate past president of Rotary Club of The Glass House Mountains, did not want to speak by phone because he was "still in shock at the events of today."

The Rotary team were at Australia Zoo running a sausage sizzle to raise funds for cystic fibrosis yesterday, he said by email.

"We had Terri, Peter and Elizabeth at Rotary last Thursday and Terri was telling us of the wonderful work they have been doing up in the Cape. She was so excited and full of joy."

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

While I am quite saddened to hear of the death of Steve, as I think he was a wonderful person and enjoyed watching his programs, I do feel a bit vindicated of the fear I had during my own encounter with a sting ray.

We were in Cancun, Mexico and swimming near a coral reef, enjoying the fish when I spotted a sting ray. Being scared to death, I began to swim as fast as I could to get away from it. I kept looking back, and lo and behold, the ray was still right behind me! Finally, I was begining to tire and said to myself "forget it, what's the worst that could happen" and came to the surface to rest and get my bearings. That's when I noticed my husband and in-laws laughing at me... it appears the whole time I was "swimming for my life" I was swimming in a circle around the sting ray!
                    Apolyton Empress
                    "Tongue tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit..."

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
                        We all knew this would eventually happen from the first time we watched his show. Eventually everybody's luck runs out, but it's still sad.
                        I figured it would happen this way, yet it still seems unexpected.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                          I heard about this last night. Thought about posting a thread, but then I fell asleep instead.

While it's obviously sad that he's gone...

I think that's a pretty awesome way to go. I mean, Steve Irwin was never going to die of pneumonia or get into a car accident. No, he was gonna get stabbed through the heart by a ****ing stingray. Dude.
                          yeah, I gotta admit, very cool way to go. That's the way I want to go out (besides having sex with a hot chick- yeah it sucks for the woman to have a dead guy in you, but what do I care )

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                            yeah he had kids.. just think how great of a dad he was. Man, he's like a little kid in a grown man's body. You can have great games and play with him, I'm sure. That picture posted by the way perfectly captures him
                            though I might be mortified my father was taunting a croc with me when I was 1 month old.

Comment

Whoa.

I just realized: with the Croc Hunter dead, the western world's only remaining source for preconceived images of Australia will be those horribly annoying Outback Steakhouse commercials.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                                yeah, I gotta admit, very cool way to go. That's the way I want to go out (besides having sex with a hot chick- yeah it sucks for the woman to have a dead guy in you, but what do I care )
                                BTW, have you ever heard of a guy named Nelson Rockefeller?
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X