This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sava

right... it's not as if dominating the reigning NFC champs (who went up 35-0 on the Giants last week) means anything...
    Without Shaun Alexander. There goes any control of the clock, too.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava

right... it's not as if dominating the reigning NFC champs (who went up 35-0 on the Giants last week) means anything...
      On the road. At night. Missing the league's MVP.

Dominating this game doesn't count for as much as you seem to think.

Comment

• That's right. Shaun Alexander would have scored at least 5 touchdowns giving Seattle the win, and he would have played defense and stopped Rex Grossman from throwing those touchdown passes.

You guys are football geniuses.

BTW, Shaun Alexander played last week with a broken foot and they still had a lot of success. Morris is no bum (their backup RB). He was a second round draft pick and fits in real nice with their system.

But go ahead, make excuses.

The Bears dominated this game. They would have dominated with or without Shaun Alexander in there. Anyone who doesn't see that is a complete moron.

Sooner or later, after the Bears dominate enough teams, people are going to have to admit they are a great team. Maybe after they win the Super Bowl that will happen... but probably not on this forum. However, most people will see the Bears for what they are: a complete football team that executes on offense, defense, and special teams.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• In 3 games this year, Alexander has 65 carries, 187 yards, and 2.9 yards per carry.

BUT HE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE DIFFERENCE IN THAT GAME!!!

morons...
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• to being a fan

to an inability to argue without Sava'ing it up.

Comment

• It was just nice to see the Bears NOT choke on a prime time broadcast.

The Bears were fired up, had a good game plan, and executed.
              The Seahawks were not playing with the intensity I expected.

Madden and Michaels couldn't come up with anyone else when discussing whether this game defined the Bears as the class of the NFC. Yes, it's early, but all the other prethenders have at least one loss. Atlanta looked bad at NO, Carolina has been shaky, the Giants have no defense, Dallas is a soap opera, and Seattle and Minny have been dispatched... Who's left, St. Louis?

Anyway, it was nice to see the Bears stamp themselves as a team with both an offense and a defense, and as being tough on the home turf.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I think it is safe to say the Bears are the class of the NFC so far.

Then again, season is still early. Who knows, maybe the Eagles have put the 4th Q against the Giants behind them and are ready to kick ass (that offense is looking incredible)? Carolina with Smith back in the fold may start to resemble the team they were at the end of last season. Dallas may actually right the ship. Atlanta may show that the Saints loss was an aberration (another 250+ yard rushing game today). Washington seems to have 'got' Al Saunders' system and the offense is looking great in the past 2 weeks. And, of course, there are always season altering injuries every year... the team that can best survive those (good depth) can surprise.

Though didn't Jaguar say that Rex Grossman wasn't going to that much different than Kyle Orton was, early in the preseason, based on their career stats?
                Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; October 2, 2006, 00:56.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Titans DT Haynesworth Kicks Cowboy center in face

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth was ejected early in the third quarter Sunday after he kicked Dallas center Andre Gurode in the face. Now the tackle expects to be punished, and knows he deserves it.

"I apologize to Andre," Haynesworth said. "What I did was disgusting. It's something that should never happen. I mean, I'm not a dirty player. I don't play dirty. I have respect for the game. What I feel like is I disgraced the game, disgraced my team and disgraced my last name."

Julius Jones had just scored on a 5-yard run, putting Dallas up 20-6 in what wound up as a 45-14 victory. Gurode's helmet came off, and Haynesworth, standing over him, used his right foot to kick Gurode in the head.

"What I did was disgusting," the Titans' Albert Haynesworth said of his stomp on Cowboys center Andre Gurode's face.

Gurode said they hadn't been talking or having any exchanges that led to Haynesworth kicking him twice. He received stitches above his forehead and beneath his eye.

"In all my years of football, this has never happened to me. I've never been kicked in the face like this, and I've never seen anybody kick nobody else in the face," Gurode said.

A flag was thrown, and Haynesworth followed an official toward the Titans' sideline, protesting.

Haynesworth pulled off his helmet and slammed it to the ground, prompting another flag. Referee Jerome Boger disqualified Haynesworth, and the player walked off the field after talking briefly with Titans coach Jeff Fisher.

The coach called Haynesworth's actions unacceptable and promised he would be punished by the Titans even if the NFL disciplines him.

"It's ridiculous to get to that point. Two back-to-back penalties like that, there's no place for it," Fisher said.

Gurode didn't play the rest of the second half.

"This vision was kind of blurry in my left eye," he said. "If it was clear, I would have tried to come back in to play."
                  Unfkgbelievable!
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                  One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Sava, you need to learn the difference in cheering for a team and being a slobbering fanatic.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Haynesworth is going to get a bunch of games sitting at home. What he did was despicable. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Unfkgbelievable!
                        My thoughts exactly as I watched the game. I didn't want to rave on like Sava though.

Comment

• The Haynesworh tape is amazing. The guy took 30 stitches.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Though didn't Jaguar say that Rex Grossman wasn't going to that much different than Kyle Orton was, early in the preseason, based on their career stats?
                            Their career stats were frighteningly identical. From everything I had seen for three years, Grossman had no place playing quarterback in the NFL. I believe he was drafted in the same year as Kyle Boller, and the Ravens had cut their losses, and I wondered why the Bears hadn't.

It's probably the Phillip Rivers principle. Sometimes the management of a team knows a lot more about a player than you do, like the Chargers front office knew a lot more about Rivers than the press did. When they let Brees walk, it was obvious he was really good. When the Bears still gave the starting job to Rex despite about 80% of the fans chanting for Griese, they knew something those fans didn't. I don't think Rex just magically "got it" for the first time ever in his first game this year. But that's how it looks to us.

Most highly drafted quarterbacks given an opportunity "get it" in either their second year overall, or their second year as a starter. Unless they're named Roethlisberger or Marino, they are terrible as rookies, and then the good ones turn it around. Only a rare few, like Drew Brees and Doug Flutie, develop much later than that. But one could say this effectively Rex's 2nd season, because of his absurd 8 games played in 3 years.

I think the Bears passing game would have improved a lot this year regardless of who was under center, because
                            1. It wouldn't be Kyle Orton
                            2. Berrian's become totally sick
                            3. Mush has stopped dropping passes

But a hell of a lot of the improvement comes from Rex. Although he's still running backwards like an idiot when pursued by a pass rush, he's still getting impatient and throwing it deep when there's nobody open there, and he's still jumpy under pressure, a lot has clicked. He's put up a good showing against a legitimate defense. Maybe when he gets injured this year, people will actually care.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Over 500 posts... the new thread can be found at:

Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X