• Show
Clear All

• Pick made
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Unfortunately, I've got a bit of a family emergency right now. I'm going to be driving up to northern Michigan tomorrow; I will have net access when I arrive, and it shouldn't take me more than 7-8 hours to get there. But if there is a long lull when I pick, that is why. Don't hesitate to BAPAY me.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer
        Unfortunately, I've got a bit of a family emergency right now. I'm going to be driving up to northern Michigan tomorrow; I will have net access when I arrive, and it shouldn't take me more than 7-8 hours to get there. But if there is a long lull when I pick, that is why. Don't hesitate to BAPAY me.
        Send a list to someone who picks near you, or to me.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
          BTW, if any of the newcomers have any questions about how the league works, feel free to ask here or send me a PM. I want to make sure everyone's clear on what to expect. It's all pretty straight forward, really, but I know I had some questions my first time around.
          Since you offered, I do have some questions..........

1) This is just for bragging rights correct?
          (I have never been in a pool/draft/whatever that I didn't have to anti up first, but I assume that is the case here, as collecting would be a pain ).

2) How often can/do you exchange players?
          Like with a hypothetical team of 7 players all from Florida and 7 players all from Chicago (I am trying for the extreme here) and if those teams never (or very rarely) played on the same night, could you move players on and off your bench each day to ensure that you have the maximum number playing each night depending on the schedule?

3) Is there a deadline (time) for moving players on/off the bench?

4) Scoring (2 parts):
          You have weekly matchups against another team and the winner of that matchup gets.....2 points? each week? the week starts and ends on........what day?

If my players stats (say +/-) have a higher total then you I am +1 in the statistic, the one with a higher total of all (?9?) statistics gets the points for that week correct? No ties are possible??

I think that's it for now, hopefully none of these have obvious answers, I have explored the Yahoo site somewhat but I still may have missed my answers

By the way, how many of the 14 of us are Canadian? I thought by the flags that most of us are, but given that we nearly had WWIII over the ruleset I am wondering if that is the case or if we all just get really worked up about hockey

/me
          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

(I have never been in a pool/draft/whatever that I didn't have to anti up first, but I assume that is the case here, as collecting would be a pain ).
            Yes, bragging rights.

Like with a hypothetical team of 7 players all from Florida and 7 players all from Chicago (I am trying for the extreme here) and if those teams never (or very rarely) played on the same night, could you move players on and off your bench each day to ensure that you have the maximum number playing each night depending on the schedule?
            You could drop your whole team and replace them completely with new free agents. There is no limit to roster moves the way we have set the options.

Players that are dropped spend a certain amount of time on waivers (2 days?) so you can't drop one day and pick back up the next.

Also, any good players you drop could be picked up by any other manager who beats you to them.

There is a waiver order that can be used to pick players up from waivers. You still don't get them until the waiver period is up, and if another manager with higher order than you wants the same player, you lose (IIUC). If you claim a player off waivers and you get him, he is automatically on your roster when his waivers expire and nobody can grab him as a free agent (he never shows up as a FA).

After players clear waivers they are free agents and anybody can pick them up. There is no delay to the transaction.

Midnight EST (IIRC) for the next day.

4) Scoring (2 parts):
            You have weekly matchups against another team and the winner of that matchup gets.....2 points? each week? the week starts and ends on........what day?
            Game weeks are Monday to Sunday.

Each stat is a game, so you are playing 8 games against your opponent in a game week the way we have set things up. There are 22 game weeks.

If my players stats (say +/-) have a higher total then you I am +1 in the statistic, the one with a higher total of all (?9?) statistics gets the points for that week correct? No ties are possible??
            If you have one more goal than I at the end of the week, you get a win and 2 points. If you and I have the same number of assists, we tie and each get a point.

I think that's it for now, hopefully none of these have obvious answers, I have explored the Yahoo site somewhat but I still may have missed my answers

By the way, how many of the 14 of us are Canadian? I thought by the flags that most of us are, but given that we nearly had WWIII over the ruleset I am wondering if that is the case or if we all just get really worked up about hockey

* Sparrowhawk
            Pekka is a Finn, Guy, Jaguar, and Imran are Yanks. The rest of us are Canucks.

There have been some heated disputes in the past. Asher and I in particular have some bad blood going.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

Yep.

You can edit your roster up until game time every day. You can play a maximum of two of each position every day (although you'll almost certainly have days when you only have one or maybe no players in any given position playing). As long as the players are on your roster, you can switch at will. However, if you want to add/drop players from the free agent pool (all drafted players) and/or trade, there is a day's lag, so if you dropped someone and added someone else on a Monday, your new player wouldn't be eligible to play until Tuesday.

As above, game time. "Bench" is a bit misleading - your roster is totally fluid and you can play whomever you want, whenever you want up to the maximum of two in each position every day.

4) Scoring (2 parts):

The week starts on Monday and ends after the last games on Sunday. During that week, you go head-to-head against another team competing for the stats we have set up. Each stat category won during the week gives you 2 points, each tie 1 point and each loss 0 points. So, in any given week 16 points are up for grab.

If you are playing me and your players amass a greater +/- than mine over the course of the week, you win that category and get two points for it. Ditto with all the other stats. Like I said, the most points you can get in a week is 16 if you win all 8 stat categories. And ties are indeed possible and not totally uncommon.

Please feel free to ask anything. It's better to have a good understanding than just sitting there scratching your head.

Canadians: you, me, Asher, nye, KH (residing in Baltimore), Tingkai (though he lives in Hong Kong now), joncha, Hot Mustard, Ninot and MrBoo
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

• Cross post with nye. However, I think nye is mistaken on the deadline for moving players off the bench.

Comment

• Kontiki is right. You can move players to the bench up to game time (that is sometime before the faceoff, probably related to when the NHL posts game rosters, or something). I was going fast and confused roster changes with managing the bench.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Anyone interested in an avatar bet for the pool? We could have say the winner gets to pick an avatar for everyone else with the avatar staying up during the playoffs.
                    Golfing since 67

Comment

• I like that idea.........I assume the avatar would be tasteful enough that it wouldn't be opposed by the powers that be (Asher doesn't need to offend them any more then he has already).

I'm in for that. Would it be too early for me to start designing it?

/me
                      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• I don't think I can even have a custom avatar, so no skin off my back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
                          I don't think I can even have a custom avatar, so no skin off my back.
                          If needed, we could make special exceptions to the custom avatar rule to satisfy any bets
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai
                            Anyone interested in an avatar bet for the pool? We could have say the winner gets to pick an avatar for everyone else with the avatar staying up during the playoffs.
                            sure, why not?
                            Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

• I'm in.
                              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• I can see it now: everyone with Maple Leaf avatars for the entire playoffs.
                                Golfing since 67

Comment

Working...
                                X