No announcement yet.

What game first brought you to Poly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civ2 MP. I used to love playing that game. I don't play it anymore, I know I'm shallow but I just can't get past the outdated graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      III sucked goat nads.
      I like Civ 3 and still play it.

Comment

This is probably going to be pretty skewed on the OT.

SMAC, and I don't play it, although I really should.
        Last edited by Kassiopeia; August 17, 2006, 20:13.
        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I don't like SP.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
            infinite builds bug?
            There is a FAQ in the CTP2 forum.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's interesting, and pretty much what I thought. This place is predominantly built around Civ2, and to a lesser degree SMAC and CTP.

Why did people who played Civ2 have more of a sense of community than fans of later games? They stuck with it for years after it was obsolete, made hundreds of web sites, and generally interacted with each other far more than the fans of later versions. Is it the game? The generation? What?
              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I joined Apolyton in 1998 as Yisuro but as I lost interest in Civ2 I stopped coming here. Then I became interested again but couldn't remember my ID (or the password, perhaps). So I registered again as Anatolia. Then I changed my ID to Masuro a couple of years ago.
                I don't play Civ2 or Civ3 anymore. Mostly I play Civ4 PBEM and I'm looking forward to getting Warlords when I get back home.
                Wow, I've been here for eight years . . . .
                Formerly known as Masuro.
                The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Civ2 but I havent played it for ages.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Civ3. Still play Conquests in a very interesting situation.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      I haven't touched CivII since III came out. I haven't touched III since IV came out.
                      QFT.

I came for Civ3, btw, but I already had a long experience with both previous Civs and SMAC.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                        Why did people who played Civ2 have more of a sense of community than fans of later games? They stuck with it for years after it was obsolete, made hundreds of web sites, and generally interacted with each other far more than the fans of later versions. Is it the game? The generation? What?
                        I think your analysis is wrong. There's a strong Civ3-based community at some other sites (like CivFanatics, or MasterZen Online, an offshoot of 'Poly). And Civ4 has a strong on-topic community as well.

I think the main reason the results are so skewed in favour of Civ2 is because of the OT's specificities, not because of the games themselves. Apolyton was first formed on Civ2, and the pillars of the community have been here for a very long time. It resulted in an OT that is very much the result of a specific group, with its specific etiquette and so on. It is difficult for a new poster to feel at ease in the OT, and IMO this is why most OT-minded Civ3ers preferred to found their own community (at MZO), rather than barging in the OT.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                          I first registered because I was working on a scenario for CivII (that I never came close to finishing). As it turned out, CivIII was released shortly thereafter, and that's when I got really hooked on 'poly.

I haven't touched CivII since III came out. I haven't touched III since IV came out.

-Arrian
                          Ditto. ('cept the scenario bit)

Comment

Civ2 - but I didn't stop lurking until Civ3 was imminent.
                            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

SMAC brought me here and I hadn't played it in a couple of years until my stepson found the game and said "hey what's this game"

I never caught the civ bug. I guess I played CTP and got turned off on the whole history oriented game until I picked up MTW and now im a addict of that and RTW. My stepson loves them to and we play together sometimes..
                              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Lurked for Civ II. Civ III got me to registar. Civ III also brought me to OT. Now I'm stuck.
                                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X