Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is depression a disease? Is it more prevalent today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NeOmega

So are they diseases, or not. You said it doesn't matter, but apparantly it does, because I have said depression is not a disease, and lots of people have blown gaskets over it. So please, answer the question... do you think IED and SAD are diseases?

I know bipolar people, and I happen to know somebody very well who was forced to take anti-depressants throughout high school. Sometimes she was willing, other times she refused. Lets jsut say, she sees it as a bad time in her life, and thinks it was wrong, that she had to take them... and yes, they had pleanty of medical opinions saying she needed them.

There are lots and lots of doctors then, not tworth their medical degrees.
    id say the are diseases. in the same way the flu or cold is a disease. curable with the right treatment, not lack of treatment or saying youre just a ***** cause you sneezed.

most people that are bi polar dont like the idea of taking drugs. a girl i dated hate the idea that she was somehow not normal because she had to take medication. theres the old fallacy of : "only crazy people need treatment so if i dont get treatment im not crazy". I had a close friend have a break and until she got on medication she was not right. it took her not bathing for months, living in garbage, and her mom finding her in this condition to get her help. preventitive treatment with drugs and therapy could have prevented this. and now shes happily on meds for it and those days are behind her.

not treating bi polar disorder in any way, shape or form is detrimental. not even identifying it is detrimental.

so why arent you discounting all medicine if you dont believe that many doctors arent worth their degrees? why do you only choose this? why arent you saying chemo therapy is bunk, or surgery for ACL tears is bunk? why is it only in depression that youre saying any form of treatment other than the person picking themselves up with nothing else is bunk?

and like i said, what if someone thinks the best way of curing their depression is through medication or god or whatever? why is that less valid?
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by loinburger

You're clinically disgruntled if you think I'm going to read through your posts to find the definitions for these acronyms.
      Why are you trying to debate me, if you aren't even reading my posts?
      Pentagenesis for Civ III
      Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
      Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Nowhere did I condone parents calling their child a whiny crybaby after he commits suicide.
        No, they're supposed to call their child a whiny crybaby before the kid commits suicide. No sense lowering the kid's self esteem when he's already dead.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Yet another logical fallacy, strawman

Nowhere did I condone parents calling their child a whiny crybaby after he commits suicide.

Just another appeal to emotion instead of facts.
          but beforehand?
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144

id say the are diseases. in the same way the flu or cold is a disease. curable with the right treatment, not lack of treatment or saying youre just a ***** cause you sneezed.

So serial rapists and child molestors, by this logic, have a disease.

so why arent you discounting all medicine if you dont believe that many doctors arent worth their degrees? why do you only choose this? why arent you saying chemo therapy is bunk, or surgery for ACL tears is bunk? why is it only in depression that youre saying any form of treatment other than the person picking themselves up with nothing else is bunk?
            Because I object to the way the disease is diagnosed and classified. It has much more the hallmarks of an addiction, than a disease.

and like i said, what if someone thinks the best way of curing their depression is through medication or god or whatever? why is that less valid?
            Let them, I have said time and time again, fine. But I still don't think it's a disease, and I think drugs do not help the problem.
            Pentagenesis for Civ III
            Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Why are you trying to debate me, if you aren't even reading my posts?
              Originally posted by NeOmega
              Yeah, see if I care.
              With your stellar posting history, can you really blame me?

Comment

Huh, you think I am going to read your posts? How about answer my question about IED and SAD first.
                Pentagenesis for Civ III
                Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

With your stellar posting history, can you really blame me?
                  yes, you dodge the question well, but are IED and SAD really diseases?

(And why are you even here, if you don't even know what SAD is?)
                  Pentagenesis for Civ III
                  Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

• addiction to high cholesterol foods.

You're a moron. Cholesterol isn't addictive.

Comment

So rapist and child molestors, by this logic, have a disease.

Because I object to the way the disease is diagnosed and classified. It has much more the hallmarks of an addiction, than a disease.

Let them, I have said time and time again, fine. But I still don't think it's a disease, and I think drugs do not help the problem.
                      some child molesters and rapists do have a disease or illness. but most child rapists and molesters have never sought treatment before commiting crimes, and really most people dont exhibit social symptoms beforehand that are noticable to society.

its socially acceptable to be depressed and seek treatment.
                      its so socially unnacceptable to want to be rapist or child molester no one ever dares confront it before it causes a social problem.

maybe disease isnt the right word, but then youre just playing a stupid semantics game where you believe depression is a choice, the flu is a choice, cancer is a choice, and in many cases, most cases they arent.

how much evidence do you need before youre convinced drugs work?

Comment

Last edited by loinburger; April 25, 2010, 09:38.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          addiction to high cholesterol foods.

You're a moron. Cholesterol isn't addictive.
                          Niether is shopping, or sex, or gambling... right?

Then why hasn't she quit eating bacon and butter?
                          Pentagenesis for Civ III
                          Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

I had this poignant explanation relayed to me, so alas this is a "second-hand experience" (but maybe I should claim that I have first-hand knowledge and then I can totally override anything that so-called experts have to say on the subject)

Guilt prevents suicides. "If I kill myself, Mom and Dad will be sad."

Anti-depressants reduce guilt. "If I kill myself, Mom and Dad will be sad. But so what?"

Ergo: anti-depressants result in suicide.
                            So IED is a disease, and SAD is a disease? I am not sure if this answers that question.
                            Pentagenesis for Civ III
                            Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Last edited by loinburger; April 25, 2010, 09:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144

maybe disease isnt the right word,
                                Aha, progress.

but then youre just playing a stupid semantics game where you believe depression is a choice, the flu is a choice, cancer is a choice, and in many cases, most cases they arent.
                                No, you cannot cure the flu or cancer through willpower.

how much evidence do you need before youre convinced drugs work?
                                More people who aren't on antidepressants their whole life.
                                Pentagenesis for Civ III
                                Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X