Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is depression a disease? Is it more prevalent today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by loinburger; April 25, 2010, 09:29.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Go Lorizael!

Go away NeOmega.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Last edited by loinburger; April 25, 2010, 09:30.

Comment

This is an interesting topic and I could write a lot about it, but don't have the energy to do it right now. I'll just say that NeOmega strikes me as being a person who actually has learned to overcome depression without outside help and you should at least think about what he's saying. In my opinion, a person who is suffering from such unfounded destructive thoughts that are indicative of depression should first of all ask himself, "why am I being so immature?"

And don't blindly trust the medical establishment or "experts" in general, least of all in matters that regard your own mind, they are just people like you and me that are operating on the basis of certain theoretical frameworks.

Comment

Here's the thing. Most humans don't operate on theoretical frameworks. Most humans live their lives by accumulating as a vast number of impressions and feelings and ideas and beliefs, and use whichever one is necessary to justify their own actions.

Doctors and experts are no different but, when it comes to their chosen field, they have an enormous wealth of information - which has been collected, pruned, refined, and redifined by other experts for many, many years - to pull from.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Last edited by loinburger; April 25, 2010, 09:11.

Comment

Scientists are a fraternity of head scratchers and ball manipulators.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger

I know! I was astonished to discover that sometimes there are even errors in mathematical proofs! One time a so-called "expert" was explaining the "proof" for the halting problem to me, and I asked him if he could prove that there weren't any errors in his proof, and he said he couldn't! Take that, Science!

science

Comment

Originally posted by NeOmega

Whaaat!!!!????

But you need medicine!

Medicine is the cure! Not creativity, or family!
                    what if beating it on your own terms is taking medicine and getting therapy?
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

As I mentioned before, just because some people can beat it without outside help, that doesn't mean everyone can.

Everyone is built differently. Including their brains.

I believe one can prevent from going into depression through will alone, but it's near impossible to get out of a serious depression through will alone. Once you are in, you are stuck. It feels like a hole you can't get out of.

Comment

I agree. In fact, this one time while I was playing soccer this guy on the other team tripped and broke his leg, and he was all like "ooooh my leg hurts," and I was all like "stop being such a wimp, crybaby." I mean, christ, a broken leg isn't even a disease!
                        Ef þú getur lesið þetta þá kanntu kannski íslensku. Það getur verið að þú sért að vera sniðugur eins og viss herramaður sem ég nafngreini ekki. Eða að þú sért Færeyingur eða Nojari.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                          Better yet...

God.. "I'm just not happy. I'm just not happy. I'm just not happy because my life didn't turn out the way I thought it would." Hey! Join the ****ing club, ok!? I thought I was going to be the starting center fielder for the Boston Red Socks. Life sucks, get a ****ing helmet, allright?! "I'm not happy. I'm not happy." Nobody's happy, ok!? Happiness comes in small doses folks. It's a cigarette, or a chocolate cookie, or a five second orgasm. That's it, ok! You ***, you eat the cookie, you smoke the butt, you go to sleep, you get up in the morning and go to ****ing work, ok!? That is it! End of ****ing list! "I'm just not happy." Shut the **** up, allright? That's the name of my new book, "Shut the **** Up, by Doctor Denis Leary. A revolutionary new form of therapy."
                          Unbelievable!

Comment

try this:

depressed person: I hate my life, I am so depressed.

me: well you can cure it yourself, it's not a disease

depressed person: Who the hell do you think you are? Are you a doctor? I need a doctor to help me! I can't help myself!!!

me: You are the only one who can help.

depressed person: No, I have a disease, I need a doctor, and a pill! Lots of people say it's a disease!
                            Some people can amputate their own limbs. That hardly proves that say, an infected limb isnt a disease.

Attacking a depression by changing depressive thinking can a be a fruitful source of cures. few depressives can do that without a trained therapist. That some can is good, but does not mean its not a disease.

also sometime depression goes away by itself. So does the flu. And Chicken pox.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

It is nothing like the .9999 = 1 argument.

One involves mathematics, an exact science, and one involves psychology, a self admitted very un-exact science.
                              Your dealing with the human mind, how could it not be inexact?
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I don't want to step into this lion's den too long but a question comes to mindfor the folks who think nearly all depression cases are completely inevitable chemical imbalances (i.e. for everyone but NeOmega): how do you explain the fact that first-world countries have far higher rates of debilitating depression than less developed ones? If depression is indeed somatogenic, then wouldn't incidence rates be roughly the same in any given populations?
                                Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                                X