No announcement yet.

"Complex" plot of blow up UK airlines foiled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw an article about one of them, Ibraham Savant. He's a native Briton who converted to Islam several years ago. I think he converted because white guys stole his chick or something like that.

If the Pakistani government gave up information about this plot I wonder if it has blown its covert surveillance of al-Qaeda.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava
      A lot of these suspects are teenagers. I find it disturbing that many people have already convicted these boys and young men without even seeing, hearing, or reading the evidence.
      Yeah, well, unlike José Padilla or the Sons of David or the Lackawanna Seven or Sami al-Arian, this seems to have been real.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• And don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not claiming this plot is a fake or whatever. My point is clearly that whenever a situation like this occurs, a government should follow proper judicial procedures and afford suspects in such conspiracies the same rights to due process that anyone else would normarly be given.

I'm not saying anything about whether or not this plot is for real or not.

My feeling is, the authorities had reasonable intelligence indicating an attack was in the works or imminent, and they acted accordingly. Now that they have arrested the suspects, they need to sort out how each person is involved, the level of involvement, and prosecute these people in a court of law. If they are guilty of conspiring to commit acts of terrorism, they should go away to a PTITA prison...

But I'm not about to agree to giving any government the green light to just arrest people and hold them indefinitely without such due process. That is contrary to the principles of freedom.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Shockingly, I agree with Sava Must be Bourbonnais or something ...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
            Shockingly, I agree with Sava Must be Bourbonnais or something ...
            BEARbonnais!

But seriously, it's not like believing in due process is some kind of radical idea... I mean, it was about 230 years ago when America declared independence, but I would assume that most people today would agree that due process is a good thing.

Though, I could understand how the Italian version of aneeshm would find the concept of due process a bit troubling.

Combine frothing hatred of Islam with the lasting imprint of Italian fascism, and well... I'm guess I'm really not surprised when such a person reacts to the notion of treating suspects of terrorist plots as if they had civil rights!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

But seriously, it's not like believing in due process is some kind of radical idea.
              Why do you hate America?
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

• civil rights my butt, criminals flying planes through buildings have none. not even the right of getting their 72 sluts in hell
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

• Technically you are right... because they would be dead. And dead people don't have rights.

Except for Terry Schiavo.

RIP
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Technically you are right... because they would be dead. And dead people don't have rights.
                      QFT

Comment

• She has the right of being broadcasted worldwide so that bored people can feed with her misery
                        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                          She has the right of being broadcasted worldwide so that bored people can feed with her misery
                          Just imagine how many people like Dis probably masturbated to her...
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• She was a hottie

when she still had a brain

damn that Illur

Comment

• Most interesting article I've seen on this:

August 10, 2006

Six Lessons from the London Airline Bombing Plot

What we now know about the London-based plot to destroy ten civilian airplanes points to six conclusions.

First, what stopped this plot was law enforcement. Law enforcement. Not a military invasion of Pakistan, Iran, Lebanon, Egypt, or Iraq. Old-fashioned surveillance, development of human sources, putting pieces together, and cooperation with foreign police and intelligence services.

Second, the conspiracy—if it resembles the London bombings of last summer—will likely be home-grown, another of the growing jihad "fashion" in Europe that comprises the new street gangs of this world. It is not a religious movement, it is not fundamentalism. These are thin veneers. It is at root sheer violence undertaken by young men resentful of many things (not least the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and Lebanon) and ready to kill in return. Under different cirucmstances, it could be Tamils or Red Brigades or Michigan Militiamen, and has been.

Third, if al Qaeda was involved (allegedly from Pakistan), we can thank the failure of the war in Afghanistan and the cozying up to Musharraf to destroy them.

Fourth, there was no involvement by any American-based “cells,” according the FBI Director Robert Mueller. As many of us have been saying for nearly five years, and as the 9/11 Commission Report showed, there is virtually no plausible American jihad organization at work, and never has been.

Fifth, the plot again reveals how ill-equipped the U.S. Government has been in anticipating plausible attack scenarios and taking steps to prevent them. Liquid bombs were so hard to figure out? Al Qaeda already tried it. DHS has almost completely missed the threat, just as they are missing the vulnerability of cargo holds and God knows what else. Thomas Kean, the former GOP governor and co-chair of the 9/11 Commission, called this liquid bomb error “appalling” and wondered, on an NBC program four months ago, why no progress had been made. What are the tens of billions being spent on? This is Katrina II.

Sixth, and most important, we must end our involvement in Iraq and sharply refocus our presence in the region. The war president’s approach is not working. It’s a diversion from the real threat. It’s a spur to bitter revenge. It’s a big feedback loop that will endanger us for years, if not decades. Our lives are now at stake because the Bush catastrophe has created thousands of new terrorists.

Naturally, the politically expedient are trying to gain an edge. Defeated Senator Joseph Lieberman immediately attacked his victorious primary challenger Ned Lamont, saying that Lamont’s leave Iraq policy is somehow connected to this. It’s the opposite—the war distracts and inflames. We will see the crowing from the Bushies now, when in fact they were again asleep at the wheel, only this time the Brits saved the day. The war v. law enforcement contrast—remember how John Kerry was ridiculed by Cheney for suggesting that aggressive police work and human intelligence were anti-terror linchpins?—is now buried by conflating the “war against terror” in Iraq with this Scotland Yard and MI5 success.

Reversing America’s colossally destructive series of interventions in the Middle East—a cause, a trigger, a recruitment fountain, and a charity for jihad—will require an entirely different mindset, not just an adjustment or a measured retreat. When America responded, after being prodded, to the tsunami victims in Indonesia early last year, it profoundly changed Indonesians’ views of the United States. New attitudes of support and cooperation suddenly sprang forth. This “natural experiment” should be examined to learn from, possibly to emulate, in the Persian Gulf and elsewhere.

We’re now viewed as destroyers, and destruction is the retort. This is the “new Middle East” that is aborning—one of relentless violence—if we do not end our own relentless violence there. The would-be bombers in London are a reminder of how close it is.

--- John Tirman

It's also apparant that a guy that the Brits picked up (and turned) last year was instrumental in uncovering the plot. It's important to note that double agents aren't acquired through the harsh interrogation practices that Dear Leader is so fond of, but through compassion and due process.
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

• Good article.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X