No announcement yet.

Home Theatre Advice and Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a 32" LD LCD tv a couple of weeks ago for HK$8,300 (about Cdn$1,200). I've got a small living room so didn't want to get anything better.

Now, I just have to upgrade my DVD system, which only has av and s-video outputs.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

• These pictures pretty much settled any anxieties I had about the Westinghouse 1080p.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by LordShiva
        Burn-in hasn't been a problem on plasmas for a while now.
        Even the cheap ones have that problem solved. I'm about the only guy in my group of friends who hasn't bought a plasma yet and none of them have had burn in issues while all the magazines report that burn in is an issue which was dealt with long ago. But if Asher feels better about his LCD purchase by claiming burn in still exists in 0.00000001% of models then more power to him.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Burn-in exists in any and all models, if you understood how Plasma worked you'd know why.

There are features that are meant to counter this, but they only help prevent it -- they do not eliminate it.

The most common feature is Game Mode (which drastically reduces brightness and does subtle pixel shifting). All of the plasmas I've looked at have said it'll void your warranty if you play games outside of game mode, or play with game mode for any longer than 25-30 minutes at a time without "flushing" it with a snowy/staticy picture.

As I've said before, the main problem with Plasma is its very low resolution. All of the 42" Plasmas that come even close to the 42" Westy in terms of price are 1024x768, not 1920x1080...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• If you run this westinghouse as a PC monitor would your resolution be 1920x1080. It doesn't sound like a standard PC resolution.
            Quendelie axan!

Comment

• Yes, the resolution would be 1920x1080 and the timing would be 60 Hz -- or 120 Hz preferably.

I expect that you will see this resolution and timing (as well as 1280x720 @ 60 Hz) more in the future. Perhaps Vista will include it as a resolution choice. For XP, you use an application such as Powerstrip to set the required resolution and timing information.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• HD resolutions are 16:9, whereas W*GA PC resolutions are 16:10. A video card can output HD resolution just fine though.

SP
                I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                  Yes, the resolution would be 1920x1080 and the timing would be 60 Hz -- or 120 Hz preferably.

I expect that you will see this resolution and timing (as well as 1280x720 @ 60 Hz) more in the future. Perhaps Vista will include it as a resolution choice. For XP, you use an application such as Powerstrip to set the required resolution and timing information.
                  Windows XP detects the monitor and sets the resolution fine without any other kinds of tools.

Comment

• Seems like my aversion to projection TVs was well founded.

Future Shop & Best Buy in Canada are no longer selling DLP TVs as they're unreliable: http://www.digitalhome.ca/blog/2006/...liable/#more-4

Comment

• Most places stopped selling them over a year ago not because they were unreliable but because they stopped selling. Costco only sells one or two budget based CRTs now days and EVERYTHING else is flat screens. Flat is the way the future of TVs are going.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                      X