Home Theatre Advice and Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Theatre Advice and Planning

I'm moving into my own apartment early September. As such, I need to get my own home theatre for my Xbox 360 and high-definition DVR setup.

I really want a 1080p set, a LCD or plasma screen in the 36-42" range with full 1920x1080 resolution support. Those are still quite rare, it seems. It seems very odd to me to get a 1366x768 display that almost everything is today and run 1080i signals on it...

So the one that immediately caught my eye at Best Buy was this: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...63&catid=23244

42" 1080p LCD TV from Westinghouse for $2499 CDN.

My first concern is, who the hell is Westinghouse? They're certainly not a name brand player in LCD TVs, this is apparently one of their first products...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Are there any reviews on the internet? I don't trust Westinghouse. At that price, its probably crap anyway. I almost bought a 32" Sharp LCD. It was 1999$ cdn. If I was you, I would probably buy a Sharp. They're the leaders, after all. And at 42", I'd start to look at Plasmas instead of LCD's.

Anyway, you will have better info on:

A forum community dedicated to home theater owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about home audio/video, TVs, projectors, screens, receivers, speakers, projects, DIY’s, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

A review. It looks pretty good, actually.

Most of the new 1080p displays on the market simply upconvert 480i/480p/720p/1080i input signals internally to 1080p (and sometimes even those aren’t truly 1080p). A select few, including the new
      Last edited by Nostromo; August 7, 2006, 02:12.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I've found some other reviews/comments and it also looks good.

I'm thinking about the 47" version now.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Buy a Mac they rule.... *hides*
          "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

On the display, I would buy size rather than resolution, if price is limiter.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

My friends have a DLP that's pretty nice. (Mine's a CRT -- I think it cost me about three dollars a pound. I wouldn't recommend one unless there's somebody you can bribe with pizza whenever you need to move it.)
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

What good is a massive TV if the resolution sucks?

720p is a stopgap resolution, 1920x1080 is a more realistic one (and the native res of HD-DVD/Bluray). I'm far more concerned with resolution with good size than massive size with medicore resolution.

I've never been a fan of the 60"+ projection TVs (I loathe rear projection -- DLP or otherwise), and higher-res screens are a lot pricier with frequently inferior quality.

The "bigger is better" mantra is not always true, especially when I'm furnishing a smallish apartment.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                  My friends have a DLP that's pretty nice. (Mine's a CRT -- I think it cost me about three dollars a pound.)
                  The HDTV we have in the house now is a 300lbs 36" Sony WEGA XBR. At the time my dad paid about $3500CDN for it. This was back in like 2000.

Comment

I loathe rear projection -- DLP or otherwise
                    Why? Not sexy enough? Too noisy?

Comment

What ricidulous amounts of money you people talk about... good thing I never watch TV / play console games.

Comment

What good is a massive TV if the resolution sucks?
                        In my experience, until you get to very large sizes, you will not notice much difference between 720p and 1080p resolutions.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

What ricidulous amounts of money you people talk about... good thing I never watch TV / play console games.
                          I wouldn't invest that much for TV or console games, but its great for movies, too. Don't forget that. Eventually, you'll only be able to watch stupid blockbusters in North American theaters. The only way to watch good movies will be at home. Better have a good TV.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                            In my experience, until you get to very large sizes (currently costing as much as a car), you will not notice much difference between 720p and 1080p resolutions.
                            I disagree, having seen the store demos side by side of the 1080p Westinghouse and the 720p AQUOS. The AQUOS cost more for a similar size with lower resolution and didn't look nearly as sharp on the HD-DVD feed.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                              I wouldn't invest that much for TV or console games, but its great for movies, too. Don't forget that.
                              Yeah, I got mine shortly after signing up for Netflix.
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X