Are there to many Americans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there to many Americans?

We all know the usual litiny of accussations leveled against the US. Americans consume to much, pollute to much, recycle to little, and (while being great at generating economic activity) are just plan to hard on the natural environment. Now that the US has reached a population of 300 million I'd like to ask if you think the US still has room to grow or if it should be restricting immigration so as to contain population growth.

Normally left wing organizations like the Sierra Club have come out on the side of tight immigration controls due to the increased environmental damage an ever increasing US population would put upon the world's environment. What's your take? Is there room for more or should the US close it's doors?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

The good lord has blessed the US with a cornucopia of natural resources and the intelligence to use those resources responsibly. Fundamentally, I think it would be wrong to shut our doors to others, since the US was built on the notion that the best use of the resources should win out (see, e.g., subjugation of the American Indian, etc.).
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The problem with home-grown Americans is that we tend to want good jobs.

Immigrants, however, come here with the enterpraneural spirit. They open small mom & pop places, invent, create and power this country forward. I say, let 'em in.

Here in the southwest, or biggest problems are water, power and traffic congestion. Public transportation such as monorails and desalination plants would solve two of those problems, but would add to the power-shortage problem. However, the last I heard, fussion power is supposed to be commercially viable in 2020. Then this place will really start popping.

(BTW: "too" is spelled with two o's.)

Comment

Yes, there are too many americans. Something needs to be done... Maybe 50% cut? Or maybe you could go 10 years without copulating...

It's not like you have a chance on Domination Victory. Too many chinese for that.
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

We should threaten to stop buying Chinese products. After that, the Chinese would be our bi+ches.

Comment

No, you'd be the bi+ches trying to afford all these products that suddenly are quite expensive, while other wealthy countries didn't give up that privilidge, so then you'd have to subsidy everything you try to export even more, and we'd just be like.. nah.. the price isn't right.

I say keep on buying, what are you, a commie?
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Here in the southwest, or biggest problems are water, power and traffic congestion.

(BTW: "our" is spelled with a 'u'.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                Or maybe you could go 10 years without copulating...
                Fat chance.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

The answer is there are not too many American but there are too many Californians.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                    The answer is there are not too many American but there are too many Californians.
                    Ogie's just jealous because more folks have chosen to live in Los Angeles County than in all of Georgia.

Comment

The problem is not that we have immigrants, is the area which the immigrants go to, if every immigrant to America was sent to Alaska when we would have no problems.

And there's more people in the Los Angles area then any one of 46 of the states. That's an area where immigrants are not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                        (BTW: "our" is spelled with a 'u'.)
                        Only in British English
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Most Angelenos were born outside the U.S. Get rid of them, and the city will collapse in upon itself.

Comment

even if US population growth stopped, we'll still keep on using more and more resources, as per capita resource usage is growing.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

[SIZE=1]

Congratulations, one of the too many Americans.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X