X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox's evil quotient goes up 1000%

RealNetworks Mates With Mozilla
    Louis Hau, 08.02.06, 12:01 AM ET

RealNetworks said Wednesday that it has agreed to a multiyear agreement to offer Mozilla's Firefox Web browser with downloads of its RealPlayer, Rhapsody and RealArcade software programs.

Real said it has also agreed to extend and expand a similar agreement with Google under which it will offer the search engine's Toolbar and Desktop programs with Real software.

The term of each agreement is for two years, with the possibility of extending them further depending on a number of factors, including the volume of downloads recorded, according to Harold Zeitz, Real's senior vice president of media software and services.

Real distributes about 2 million downloads of software and games everyday, providing other software companies with an opportunity to piggyback, Zeitz said. Real is most interested in partnering with Web services companies, he said, noting that Real also has a relationship with the Weather Channel, under which it offers downloads of the cable channel's weather-forecast software program.

"Our focus is on a great consumer experience," Zeitz said. "We want them to be long-term customers with Real and the partners we're partnering with."

Meanwhile, RealNetworks' partnership with Mozilla comes as Firefox continues to notch steady gains in the global Web browser market at the expense of Microsoft and its dominant Internet Explorer browser. According to Net Applications, Firefox's share of the browser market stood at 11.3% at the end of July, up from 9.6% at the end of 2005 and 4.6% at the end of 2004.

:vomit:

Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Real :theequivalentofMelGibsonmakingamovieabouttheJews:
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

What's wrong with Real?
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Comment

So basically nothing?

Comment

Apart from being spy/mal/adware? Yeah.

Comment

Then download the version with the spyware removed. It's everywhere. Or better yet download the legal version then run any of a dozen spyware removing programs and let them delete the spyware code. Many of them will even work on programs which have call home features allowing you to continue using the original program but without the unwanted extra "features".

Comment

Oh, Google, you disappoint me.

Anything Real touches turns to dust.
                  be free

Comment

Even without the crap on it realplayer sucks. The only reason why one would use it is to play .ram files.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Oerdin, Real has had a long tradition of hijacking file extensions for its lower-quality players, of installing numerous extra "features", some of which phone home with identifiable information about the user, as well as writing crap software in general.

The years of ill-will (say, since '98? '99? since it came around) still have yet to be washed away, even though Rhapsody is helping to clean up their image.

Heck, NPR's Car Talk for a while dropped Real Player because of public outcry as well as their realization of some of the deceptive marketing practices Real was engaging at the time--particularly making it very difficult to find the free version of the player.

Personally, if I must use Real, I go for the mostly clean Enterprise version. Fill out the form with fake information, and there you have it.

(There's also RealPlayer Alternative, similar to QuickTime Alternative, which can be obtained here.)

===

Regarding the OP, what was Firefox's evil quotient before? If it was 0, an increase of 1000% is still... 0. If it was 1, then that increase makes it 10, which would mean we'd need a scale so we can compare the value 10 against.
                      B♭3

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Back to Opera then.
                          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Don't worry!

I have faith in the users, they won't tolerate this, Google and Mozilla will get an overwhelming amount of emails begging them to rid of Real.

They will listen to us.

Real will put its head in shame and go away (finally).

After that, we need to work on getting rid of AOL. Thats the other one that turns everything to dust. R.I.P ICQ..
                            be free

Comment

So Real has agreed to distribute Firefox and Google products with its software... so?

Isn't it a good thing that Real is distributing good software for once?
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X