What do you think of bullfighting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand
    Cows are the most stupid creature on earth. Except for Mobius.
    Can't speak for Mobius, but domestic turkeys are way more stupid than cows.

Bullfighting is a sport that can't hold up to modern sensibilities regarding the nature and place of animals in our society. Like other formal "cruel" sports, e.g., dog fighting, cockfighting, bear baiting, et al, it's doomed. But the question was what do we think of it. I think, in its day, it was exciting, masculine, heroic. If I had had the opportunity, I would have attended, just to see the spectacle. However, I'm not sorry to see it go.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Cows are the most stupid creature on earth.
      hope you don´t mean that. They are very intelligent (at least the Icelandic Cows). I happen to have worked with cows and ones you know them you see that they are far more intelligent than you think.

And concernig bullfighting, I don´t mind some people killing a few bulls. Although I would never kill a cow for no reason at all.

Cows
      Ef þú getur lesið þetta þá kanntu kannski íslensku. Það getur verið að þú sért að vera sniðugur eins og viss herramaður sem ég nafngreini ekki. Eða að þú sért Færeyingur eða Nojari.

Comment

I've been around cows, and I think you give them way too much credit.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Maybe the Icelandic cows are superior to the ones you hang out with
          Ef þú getur lesið þetta þá kanntu kannski íslensku. Það getur verið að þú sért að vera sniðugur eins og viss herramaður sem ég nafngreini ekki. Eða að þú sért Færeyingur eða Nojari.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
            Agreed. Finding entertainment value in images of the death and destruction of helpless creatures is sick. Now let's all return to CNN's continuous coverage of the events in Lebanon.
            I hear that those U.N. observers were killed with such style and grace that the pilot was awarded their ears and a piece of tail.

Comment

I find bullfighting disgusting, along with all other forms of show fights humans vs animals or forced fights between animals, no matter if dogs, roosters or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Herra Gautason
                Maybe the Icelandic cows are superior to the ones you hang out with
                How do they show their intelligence?
                Blah

Comment

When you milk them, they give ice cream.

Comment

How do they show their intelligence?
                    They can both read and write.

Comment

It's not the killing of the bull so much as the torturing, and the fact they kill the bull even if it wins.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I don't get why Americans find bullfighting more objectional than their own meat industry. At least the bulls in the ring are raised healthily before slaughter.
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Our bulls are not forced to needlessly fight before slaughter. Perhaps you'd like to bring back gladiators. Why not force criminals to fight each other before execution?
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

"Perhaps you'd like to bring back gladiators. Why not force criminals to fight each other before execution?"

I'm convinced.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

We already have Reality TV, the existential equivalent of gladiators, and we're collectively sick of it. Plus that Ultimate Fighting thing on Spike TV, where two rednecks Muay Thai each other until one of them blacks out. Arbitrarily inflicted torment for our amusement is just soooo yesterday.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I like bullfighting, I also would like to see people condemned to death penalty fight in a ring for their lifes.

If I had been in the nuremberg trials, I would have made all the nazis fight in arenas, the loser, well, dies, and the winner goes to jail for life.
                                I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                                X