"what they need to do is get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark
    Hezbollah has thousands of missiles. Did they buy them on Ebay?
    Saddam had loads of western weapons. Did that make him a western pawn?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Zulu Elephant
      Anyone think that the mic was left of deliberately and they wanted their conversation to leak?

I'm reminded of Bartlett and the open mic insult of Governor Richie
      "Major league a$$hole"?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
        Saddam had loads of western weapons. Did that make him a western pawn?
        Weren't they a French client state?

Comment

A customer, most definitely.
          An oil-supplier, once the oil-for-food programme would have ended, probably.
          A country which saw the French foreign policy in the Middle East with sympathy, possible.

A country on which France "has anything like total control" (the quote to which LOTM responded), not at all.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Don't forget we Americans supplied him with plenty of weapons ourselves and were the biggest abusers of the "oil for food program", so likely who have bought from them afterwards.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Biggest abusers? I don't think that's right. Or at least a very ungenerous way of describing what went on wrt the US.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Weren't they a French client state?
                dont you see its just an elaborate proxy war between france and the US in Iraq? IM GONNA GIT YOU FRANCE!
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  Biggest abusers? I don't think that's right.
                  IIRC, a majority of the money that was used in the abuse of the oil for food program came from American companies.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I would need to see a cite on that one.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I realize it is wikipedia, so I apologize, but there is a cite in wiki to the report:

The Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations assigned to investigate the scandal has also concluded that

"The United States (government) was not only aware of Iraqi oil sales which violated UN sanctions and provided the bulk of the illicit money Saddam Hussein obtained from circumventing UN sanctions. On occasion, the United States actually facilitated the illicit oil sales."

The report also found that individuals and companies in the United States accounted for 52% of all oil-voucher kickbacks paid to Saddam Hussein. The largest of these recipients, Houston based Bayoil and its CEO, Bay Chalmers have been indicted by the US Department of Justice for their actions.

Comment

Wiki should be considered a source on its own. Would spice up debates.

Comment

american companies would never do something remotely illegal or immoral, ever. FACT!
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                            Wiki should be considered a source on its own. Would spice up debates.

not until they fix the article on electro

Comment

I thought Bush and Blair were supposed to be super chummy etc. Surprised to hear Bush call Blair "Blair" and not "Tony."
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

#1: Look, it says that A. So you're a commie

#2: Yeah, but now it says that B, you evil nazi.

#1: Ha, the source now stating C proves you eat babies.

#3: It's gone!

Comment

Working...
                                X