No announcement yet.

"what they need to do is get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever, I'm not really familiar to the word. It's not something I say every day. Actually, never before.
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
      This thread is too long and stupid for me to read all through. But all US has got to do is to stop supporting the Gikes, and it's all done!

Isn't that a perfect plan? Where is Bush when the world needs him?
      How original, anti-semitism.
      There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

• Originally posted by Qilue

How original, anti-semitism.
        How original, Godwin
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
          Topple so easily???

Israel can win a war, yes, but Israel does not have the resources to bring about regime change in Syria.
          If Syria gets its ass kicked in a war, there will be regime change. Before the Assads came to power, power in Syria used to change as regularly as an Italian government. Actually, for most government's, the period after they lose a war is when they are in the most danger of being overthrown.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

How original, Godwin
            You don't think using a slur against Jews is anti-Semitic?
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
              Correct me if I'm wrong ( I know you will ), but didn't we recently pry Syria's dirty little hands off of Lebanon? Didn't Syria essentially keep a muzzle on Hezbolah while they occupied large parts of the country? How is it going to look if we invite them back in? Will we ever get them back out?
              You confused doc. UNSC resolution 1559 called for two things - syrian to get THEIR troops out of Lebanon - and for Leb to disarm hezbollah. The idea is to restore Leb as a soveriegn country with control over, and responsibility for, its own territory. Syrian occupation AND Hezb weaponry are both denials of Leb soveriegnty, and both dangers to the region.

Syria DID withdraw. However Syria AND Iran have supported Hezb, keeping it too strong for the Leb govt to control. Asking for Syria to stop supporting Hezb is asking, in essence, for them to COMPLETE their relinquishing of control. Kinda like when folks asked the US to stop funding the govt of South Vietnam, even after we'd withdrawn. Asking us to do that was certainly NOT asking us to come back in.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

We give them a significant portion of their budget - around $2 billion IIRC.
                Im not sure what you two are arguing about. Clearly the US has much influence over Israel, in no small part due to the $3 billion in aid. OTOH IF the US were to press Israel to do something that Israel thought threatened their survival, Israel would do without the aid. As long as the West doesnt sanction Israel, Israels economy is strong enough to buy a considerable amount of military hardware - aside from which they make a lot of their own.

I very much doubt that the Hezb contolled parts of Leb produce enough "tax" revenue to suppor the Hezb military. I also doubt Hezb would have an easy time getting missiles (the Israelis, at least, dont much care about their side arms and ak-47s) and other heavy equipment from anyone but Syria and Iran. Esp as it would have to be smuggled into Lebanon. The Leb gov cant stop Syria from moving things across the border, but if Syria werent playing, I think they could stop arms inflows.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• I've seen lots of slur in this thread, but as soon as it turns against Israel, it's anti-semitic? I use bad words because they have an effect. People react. If you don't like it, try to see them in the context I use it, and you will understand why. I don't despise people on a general level.

Comment

I've seen lots of slur in this thread, but as soon as it turns against Israel, it's anti-semitic?
                    IIUC, "****" is a derogatory word toward the Jews, not toward the Israelis.

I use bad words because they have an effect. People react. If you don't like it, try to see them in the context I use it, and you will understand why. I don't despise people on a general level.
                    Were your post a mirroring of Oerdin's drunk genocidial posts?
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Well, if drunk, genocidal slur were accepted earlier in this thread, why not use it again? At least I'm drunk and genocidal. But I can change my genocidal tendencies if you want! Let's nuke Lebanon!

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

If Syria gets its ass kicked in a war, there will be regime change. Before the Assads came to power, power in Syria used to change as regularly as an Italian government. Actually, for most government's, the period after they lose a war is when they are in the most danger of being overthrown.
                        Assad lost in 1973. He kept power. The Syrians did badly in 1982 in Lebanon. Assad kept control. There have been only two Syrian leaders since 1970, so that instability is past.

Israel can beat the Arab Armies, but it would be in unimaginable strain for Israel to attempt to occupy any of the major Arab states, and if Israel can;t occupy, they have no real say in who leads the country.

Israel tried regime change and imposing a regime on its smallest, weakest neighbor (Lebanon). It failed. They might be able to blast the Syrian army, but they would never be able to decide who rules in Damascus. And given current trends, the new rulers would probably be Islamists, meaning Israel would be worse off.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• The '73 was spun as an Arab victory, cuz they only lost a little bit, instead of getting their asses handed to them as usual. In 82, it was only an air war in Lebanon, so it wasn't a serious defeat. Not like if Israeli tanks were in Damascus.

Comment

Let's nuke Lebanon!
                            That's way too clean
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Do You think I would be able to see the glow from Damascus?
                              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                              Middle East!

Comment

• I like the irony whereby Israel's precision strikes have killed 20 times as many Lebanese civilians (including about 100 children) than Hezbollah's random unguided missiles have killed Israeli citizens...

But then Israel is no stranger to war crimes is it - how many civilians were killed the last time Israel systematically destroyed Beirut? 20,000?

Though I think the biggest stench of betrayal is that of the foreign powers who scuttle in to evacuate their citizens like rats off a sinking ship without so much as mildly admonishing Israel for its actions - indeed my country is actively supporting Israel's wanton destruction of a peaceful country and the murder of its children. Not that I am surprised any more...

Hezbollah is to blame, not the Lebanese Govt, not Lebanon and certainly not innocent Lebanese civilians...

Still then next time neighbour's kid throws a ball through my window, at least I'll know I can go over to his house, kill his dog, smash up his car, kill his kids that weren't even responsible and then systematically destroy his house around him while he's inside - because that folks, is Israeli Justice...

Then when the dust has settled the kid that did it can come back and throw another ball through another window...
                                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                                X