This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
    switzerland is qualified no matter what if they tie south korea on friday.
    I wonder if we will see Switzerland and SK push the ball around for 90 minutes and settle for a "hard fought" 0-0 tie?
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

. . . .and the underachieveing starts . .. .

[q=pchang]I wonder if we will see Switzerland and SK push the ball around for 90 minutes and settle for a "hard fought" 0-0 tie?[/q]

Nah, because France plays at the same time. If they tie 0-0 and France wins by 2, South Korea goes home, as both Switzerland and France, in that case, will have a GD of +2 while SK has +1 (and all have 5 points).
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Remember under which dirty ways SK advanced to the 2002 SF. Criminal referees against Portugal, Italy, Spain, then finally they were defeated by Germany. I don't think they have any trace of dignity to play a real match against Switzerland, so they'll probably settle for a 2-2 like Sweden-Denmark in Euro 2004 (arranged to kick out Italy)
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

• You guys are missing the point. Goal Differencial is the FIRST tie breaker. If SK and Switzerland finish 2-2, and France wins 2-0, then France and Switzerland go on and SK goes home.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Bottom line is that if France win 2-0 they go through no matter what happens in the other game.

Comment

• honestly tho, there were too many lost balls in the middle and defense. you cannot play like this and continue to progresse. wicky is useless in attack, gygax faded after the first 30 minutes. yakin was good for about 10 minutes, then he too faded. he should be brought off the bench tho from now on, he gave a good boost.
              degen too loses too many balls in the corner, and gets beat many times down the side.
              senderos is slow, you saw kader and adebayo eat him up a few times.

dont complain about the game against italy - you guys shot yourselves in the foot. first you content yourself with a 1 - 0 lead (by content I mean you play with 10 guys behind the ball) and then totti goes ahead and dives and picks up a dumb red.

interesting fact that I didnt know during the game : with the score 1 - 0 for switzerland, it didnt matter whether they won 1- 0 or tied 1-1, they would still have had to beat SK and thats why the coach made only offensive substitutions to try to win 2 - 0, which means a tie against SK is enough (why btw, were not impressive it seems against eithe team, but I didnt see the games)
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• I've been watching the first half of Spain-Tunisia, which I've enjoyed profusely

I'm rooting for the Tunisians, and the current score fits me well

Though the Spaniards are clearly a superior team, they suffer here from exactly the same thing as France does: dominance means nothing if you can't land the ball in the net.

However, I think the Tunisians are going to be exhausted by the end of the match, and the Spaniard should finally manage to walk in the opposing goals, through sheer superiority of their individual players.

Considering how uninspiring they were in the first half, it seem the Spaniards really had this strategy from the beginning: outwalking the Tunisians

All in all, it's really an entertaining game. I'm having a blast
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by reds4ever
                  Bottom line is that if France win 2-0 they go through no matter what happens in the other game.
                  Don't worry: it's a big "if" already
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

• thats means that france would have to score.
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

thats means that france would have to score.
                      Now, now, we did score yesterday. For the first time in 8 years

(On a completely personal basis, it does prove that it is possible to score once every eight years, which is a result I shall strive to emulate )

Comment

• "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Originally posted by reds4ever
                          Bottom line is that if France win 2-0 they go through no matter what happens in the other game.
                          Thats my assessment as well

France is eliminated if they lose or draw
                          France advances if they win and the SK-Swiss game is decisive
                          France advances if they win by 2 goals and the Swiss and SK draw
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
                            France is eliminated if they lose or draw
                            France advances if they win and the SK-Swiss game is decisive
                            shorter flubber:

Bye bye Zidane.
                            "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

France advance if they win by 2 goals no matter what happens between the Swiss/SK.

Comment

• Korea will crush the lowly Swiss! Or draw: anyway the lads are going through to meet Ukraine.

Comment

Working...
                                X