Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mayor of San Antonio wants to get an MLS soccer team in San Antonio, saying that with the large hispanic market and it's proximity to Mexico, it should be able to fill the stadium easily.
    I would never describe filling a stadium in the MLS as easy. Even the LA teams don't fill their 27,000 stadium most of the time. Maybe in a decade or two, but not now.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by lightblue
      The ref in the Brazil-Australia game is bit biased isn't he? Every 50-50 goes Brazil's way, guess FIFA and the sponsors want Brazil to go through.
      Not to mention the parrots. Brazil beats Croatia by a staggering 1-0. Its 0-0 at half time against the aussies. Do we here comments on how poor the brazilians are playing (compare to England)? No, its how well the aussies are defending.

The former soccer player has just commented that Brazil (and England) have not played well.
      Last edited by SpencerH; June 18, 2006, 13:05.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS

I would never describe filling a stadium in the MLS as easy. Even the LA teams don't fill their 27,000 stadium most of the time. Maybe in a decade or two, but not now.
        New york probably could. They certainly did during the NASL days.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Red Bull New York isn't coming anywhere near filling Giants Stadium. The typical home crowd this year is ~ 10,000 in the 80,000 capacity stadium.

Maybe they'll do better in the smaller stadium that they will be building.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Lo and Behold!

I get the second half of the Australia-Brazil game.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• God works in mysterious ways.

Comment

• I am not impressed at all by Brazil, they don't look very strong. Maybe they'll up their game when the opposition becomes better, but at the moment I don't see them winning it.

A well organised team with a better, more creative attackers could beat them quite easily on this form (think Argentina, Spain and even a team like England).

Comment

• Brazil did not look strong, buuuut, on more than a few chances they were very close. I think as they get more comfortable with each other, as the tourney goes on, you'll see more traditional Brazilian play.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Yeah, in how many World Cups have you been able to be sure of the winners from the first few games? I can see that a lot of teams will improve, whereas some, like Poland, won't even get the chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                      Red Bull New York isn't coming anywhere near filling Giants Stadium. The typical home crowd this year is ~ 10,000 in the 80,000 capacity stadium.

Maybe they'll do better in the smaller stadium that they will be building.
                      It's more like 15,000, but when they get Beckham in two years they'll have sellouts in Red Bull Stadium in Harrison, NJ .
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
                        God works in mysterious ways.
                        In godless Washington, DC, the ABC affiliate sandwiches paid real estate programming between WC matches.

Surely, we will be smitten.

Comment

• I have a Landrider infomercial.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kropotkin

Denmark vs. Sweden: 2-2
                            BURN

Btw is Denmark at the World Cup? NO
                            Is Sweden going to win the World Cup? NO
                            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

• What's with the stupid rule that yellow cards are discarded after the first round

England and the Netherlands are going to leave all their booked players on the bench next match, and I'm sure a lot of other countries will follow.

Hurray for boring last matches
                              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• Well when you are going on, what incentive is there to win the last one? It's just a facet of a round robin round.

Comment

Working...
                                X