Lahore's only Hindu temple razed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lahore's only Hindu temple razed

The centuries-old pattern of destruction continues in the so-called "land of the pure" . . . . . . .

From IBNLive

Lahore's only Hindu temple razed
    Press Trust Of India

Posted Tuesday , June 13, 2006 at 18:31
    Updated Tuesday , June 13, 2006 at 18:57

Islamabad: The only Hindu temple in Lahore has been demolished to facilitate the construction of a four-storied commercial building.

Officials of the Evacuee Property Trust Board (EPTB), which maintains the properties of minorities, concealed from their chairman that the Krishna temple was a place of worship, the daily Dawn alleged in a report on Tuesday.

A prominent jeweller of the area was allowed to demolish the temple in Wachhoowali, Rang Mahal, and raise a commercial building in its place, the Dawn reported quoting official documents.

The demolition was a violation of the EPTB's rules on management and disposal of urban evacuee trust properties. An EPTB official told the newspaper that the EPTB chairman would not have allowed the temple to be transferred to the jeweler if he had been given correct information.

Opposition leaders of the Pakistan Peoples Party and the Pakistan Muslim League (N) had moved a motion in the National Assembly against the demolition, saying such an act could affect Pakistan's relations with neighbouring countries.

This is the second Hindu temple which EPTB administrator Chaudhry Javed Bashir has allowed to be demolished. Last year, he permitted the demolition of a temple in Vehari, Punjab, for the construction of a commercial building.

But then , what else can you expect from a country which derives its ideals from seventh-century Islamic law ?

Seventh century Muslims probably wouldn't have have pulled the thing down. Islam was fairly tolerant back then.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Islamabad: The only Hindu temple in Lahore has been demolished to facilitate the construction of a four-storied commercial building.

Modernization

Chuck out this religion crap, money is where it's at

Comment

I'm starting to get the impression that maybe possibly Aneeshm has something against Islam. But I could be imagining it. Anyone else get that vibe?
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
          I'm starting to get the impression that maybe possibly Aneeshm has something against Islam. But I could be imagining it. Anyone else get that vibe?
          His Holy Crusade won't extend past typing some irrate posts

Comment

A Hindu temple is razed - and you say I am the one with a grouse ?

Comment

Officials of the Evacuee Property Trust Board (EPTB), which maintains the properties of minorities, concealed from their chairman that the Krishna temple was a place of worship,

Stealth temples? Great concept.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

So what? Did the person who razed it acquire the property legally?

2 blocks away from me a Catholic church is about to be levelled to make room for condos. Development
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Modernization

Chuck out this religion crap, money is where it's at
                  Do you support the destruction of mosques to make money?

Comment

If the mosque is owned by the one destroying it, then why not?
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                      I have something against the two obnoxious, violent, proselytizing religions of Islam and Christianity, but no others. Anything wrong with that?

{edit - spelling}
                      Last edited by Cort Haus; June 13, 2006, 14:58.

Comment

Yes.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

damn hiccups
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

I have something against the two obnoxious, violent, proselytising religions of Islam and Christianity, but no others. Anything wrong with that?
                            Not really. But I think it's a pretty foolish opinion to have. All organized religions do bad things; those two just happen to have the most power right now.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

What kind of an ignorant person wouldn't be? Islam = enemy of civilization. Anyone who is seriously trying to compare christianity and islam should read quran and new testament and start comparing them first.

Comment

Working...
                              X