Fearmongering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fearmongering

Is it a natural American response, or a calculated political move?

Ontario arrests prove need for tough border security: congressman
    Last Updated Fri, 09 Jun 2006 12:14:48 EDT
    CBC News

A U.S. congressman says the arrest of 17 people in connection with an alleged bomb plot in Ontario proves Canada must get tough on border security.

"The alleged planned targets today may be in Canada but the way the law is now and the ease of travel between the two countries will allow for the next series of targets to potentially be in the United States," Indiana Republican John Hostettler told CBC News.

During a hearing on Capitol Hill Thursday, Hostettler said Canada is in denial about the threat of terrorism within its own borders.

For this reason, he said, the House of Representatives shouldn't agree to delay strict new border identification measures that include a plan to require passports for crossborder travel by January 2008.

He said Canada "hosts an abundance of terrorists and as many as 50 terrorist organizations."

In an interview with CBC News, Hostettler said the "historic nature of the refugee and immigration policy" in Canada has long been a concern.

"There is a porous border between the United States and Canada," Hostettler said, adding it's "of tremendous concern to myself and a lot of other legislators here."

Hostettler said he applauded the beginning of "the end of denial on the part of Canadian officials on the situation and the potential haven for terrorist activity and terrorist planning in Canada."

He said the U.S. doesn't want to close the border because of the "potential terrorist threat that comes from Canada" but warned that if another 9/11 happens in the U.S., Americans will demand the border be shut down.

Let me get this straight: we had a bunch of potential terrorists bent on attacking us. We were on them from day one. The "ammonium nitrate" they bought was a harmless substitute purchased from an RCMP officer. We swooped down on them and nabbed them without anybody getting hurt. We kept our allies up to date on all developments and provided valuable information regarding the suspects' communications with people in other countries. And this means that we're lax on border security and let in too many brown people?

If we'd let these *******s blow up some buildings would that have let us get off without criticism like the UK after the London bombings?

Maybe it's simple jealousy that your countries don't have as effective a police force protecting you as we do. If you ask nice we'll let folks from the FBI and Scotland Yard receive some of our Mounties' valuable assistance.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

And lest you tell me that it's simply one irresponsible congressman, CNN has had a cavalcade of senators and governors mouthing that same rhetoric over the past week. God knows what FOX has had on. They were probably burning the Maple Leaf for 3 straight days.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

@Krazyhorse
      They were probably burning the Maple Leaf for 3 straight days.
      bleh

Comment

Er, wrong leaf.
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

As far as I see it, here's the situation:

If a terrorist plot is foiled when it's far from completion and valuable information is obtained then Canadians breathe a sigh of relief while Americans piss themselves in fear and start looking for people to harrass for doing their job properly.

If a terrorist plot is successful, Canadians...well, the last successful large-scale terrorist attack against Canada happened in 1985, so I guess I can't say what we'd do. Americans fall all over themselves exhorting each other not to play the "blame game".

Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's an election year down here. Is there something about that that's confusing you?
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Yeah. Why do xenophobia and fearmongering play so well with your electorate?
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Plus, it's always a ****ing election year. 2 year congresses are stupid.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Because the electorate is educated by one of the best elementary and high school systems in the world*.

*When compared to most 3rd world nations.
                  B♭3

Comment

some folks had what were arguably legitimate concerns about border security before this. A conspiracy in which all the targets are NORTH of the border, however, adds no weight to those concerns. But why would pols who were pushing those concerns not use this to raise them again? I mean that kind of manipulation is routine not only for pols of all stripes, but for all kinds of folks with something to sell.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Election year. Politicians suck. Lots of people are stupid and easily manipulated.

There ya go.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Eh. I find border security concerns regarding terrorism pretty silly, given that the only man who's tried to cross a border into the US for the purposes of terrorism (rather than at a port of entry from overseas) was immediately detained.

The major border concerns the US should have relate to smuggling, illegal immigration and controlled substances. Crossborder terrorism is pretty far down on the list...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          Yeah. Why do xenophobia and fearmongering play so well with your electorate?
                          Half the potential electorate has 2-digit IQs by definition.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Usually they self-select out, though.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

But they still vote. Intelligent discussion of real issues gets you killed in politics here.

Comment

Working...
                              X