No announcement yet.

Hockey is no longer a major sport in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd also wager that Regina could support a team along the same lines that Green Bay supports an NFL franchise, but they would be last in line.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Columbus metro population is 1.7 million.

Quebec metro is 700,000
      Winnipeg metro is 700,000
      Hamilton metro is 700,000
      Halifax metro is 350,000

Why on earth would you move from a 1.7 million market to a 700,000 market, when the 1.7 million market is inclined to support your product?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Now there is screaming by Yanks who can't get the games.

Screaming? More like a shrug and moving on for a lot of former fans.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Imran: Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I saw you ridiculing MLS for its broadcast deals. Different sport.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

You've been drinking tonight, right? The NHL hasn't helped OLN do jack. Comcast (who owns OLN) tried to use it to force cable companies to put it on 'basic cable', but it ended up being an utter mess. And the ratings numbers show that OLN isn't going to come close to winning anything. It hasn't even come into sniffing distance of FSN, not even mentioning ESPN!
            I was agreeing with what you said, and you laugh?

People will urge cable to put OLN on basic cable.

Doesn't seem outrageous to me.

There are a lot of hockey fans in the snow states.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Now there is screaming by Yanks who can't get the games.

Screaming? More like a shrug and moving on for a lot of former fans.
              Good.

The game won't be build on casual viewers who would pick beach vollyball over Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I've never deceived myself that hockey would become number 3 in the US.

I'd rather the game have stable franchises and good TV deals in markets that will watch it than push people who wouldn't know slashing from a two line pass into missing their beach vollyball.

If the game is good, it will grow. The game is good.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                Imran: Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I saw you ridiculing MLS for its broadcast deals. Different sport.
                Ridiculing it as a big time sport when it took no money for TV deals is a far different than saying they shouldn't take those deals when they are a minnow sport.

[q=nye]People will urge cable to put OLN on basic cable.[/q]

Yeah, that's happened .

OLN is mostly on basic cable on Comcast and a few other cable companies. The others aren't feeling much pressure from NHL fans to put OLN on their basic cable tier. Especially when ratings have been in the toilet, even on NBC.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                  Columbus metro population is 1.7 million.

Quebec metro is 700,000
                  Winnipeg metro is 700,000
                  Hamilton metro is 700,000
                  Halifax metro is 350,000

Why on earth would you move from a 1.7 million market to a 700,000 market, when the 1.7 million market is inclined to support your product?
                  I wouldn't, if they support the product.

If they don't, there are welcome homes for the franchise.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

• [q=nye]The game won't be build on casual viewers who would pick beach vollyball over Stanley Cup Playoffs.[/q]

Casual viewers are the base from which you get your new hard core fans. The NFL figured this out a while back.

Comment

• The better question is would I sacrifice the product to get that 1.7 mil to like it.

The answer is no.

**** them if they don't like it. It's their loss if they don't like the fastest, hardest, most exciting game on offer.

I'm not here to argue that every Yank should love hockey. Either you do, or you don't. It might grow on you and if it does then great, but I am against the league prostituting itself for the unlikely prospect that hockey will ever out pace basketball.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                        If they don't, there are welcome homes for the franchise.
                        Smallish homes, to be sure. I don't know why you're pimping minor league towns. Having one team in a Green Bay is great. But to build a league on such towns seems foolhardy to me.

Comment

• The better question is would I sacrifice the product to get that 1.7 mil to like it.

Isn't that exactly what the 'new rules' were designed to do?

And how is it "sacrificing the product" to take a less lucrative monetary deal in exchange for a far greater television coverage?

Comment

[q=nye]The game won't be build on casual viewers who would pick beach vollyball over Stanley Cup Playoffs.[/q]

Casual viewers are the base from which you get your new hard core fans. The NFL figured this out a while back.
                            Hard core hockey fans come from the home.

However, I am not adverse to giving major networks some gifts to get exposure, as I said.

What I am against is begging a mutt network to broadcast games.

The NHL does not need it.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

• ESPN wants to keep showing poker and let OLN have NHL?

Fine. Let's see who pulls more viewers in 5 years.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

• What exactly is a mutt network?

Comment

Working...
                                X