Hockey is no longer a major sport in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey is no longer a major sport in the US

The crown jewel of hockey, Lord Stanley's Cup. The 2006 Championship. Game one was exciting... many called it a great game... fun to watch... But it was ignored by most people.

Once considered one of the 4 major sports in the US, Hockey has sunk to new lows. Game one was watched by just over 600,000 people in the US on TV. Granted, it appeared on a second rate cable network, and they hope ratings will go up as the series moves to a real network... the ratings still sucked.

Just how bad was it... The College Soft Ball World Series which aired on ESPN2 drew more viewers.

While NBA Basketball has seen better days, it is making a comeback. Football and Baseball still rule in the US.
    But Hockey can't be called a major sport anymore. NASCAR, Poker, Beach Volleyball, Bowling are other sports that many don't even consider sports all do better on TV than Hockey. It seems like there is just a small select hardcore group of fans out there, and that's about it.

While junior hockey continues to thrive, the pro version sinks lower and lower each year.

Such a shame... I never thought I would see the day that a college softball game would outdraw a supposed major sport championship game... What a disgrace for this once great sport.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

The Stanley Cup finals are on OLN (the Outdoor Living Network or somesuch). That pretty much tells you what you need to know. They couldn't even manage to get on ESPN 2.

I watched part of game 1 (flicking over from the Yankees/Sox game). It was 3-1 at the end of the second. I flicked back and it was 3-3. Then 4-3. I actually saw the goal that tied it up at 4. Then I saw the highlight of the game winner later.

I used to enjoy hockey, and I'd watch the playoffs even if my team wasn't in it (which it wasn't, I'm nominally a Rangers fan). This year, even WITH my team in it, I haven't watched.

-Arrian

p.s. And, oh, yeah, Go Whalers!
    Last edited by Arrian; June 7, 2006, 08:42.
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

That lockout was a great idea.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The Stanley Cup is in the finals?

Seems like half the hockey season is playoffs
        that, to me, is half the problem

the other half of the problem is the lack of scantly clad women. that's why football is the best sport

another problem is the diminuitive venues. I use to live right next to the HP Pavilion and could never get tickets.

another problem is that no one likes the greedy players
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Needs more fights.

Otherwise it is simply Euroweeine college hockey.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The strike hurt them a lot, but with the new salary cap and rules, we can expect a comeback.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

We'd actually really appreciate it if you guys stopped watching hockey altogether.

Just be sure to give us back the Jets and the Nordiques before you go.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Cant imagine someone watching bowling over hockey

Damn, this world is getting weirder by the minute...

Comment

We'd actually really appreciate it if you guys stopped watching hockey altogether.

We have; didn't you read the OP? The 600,000 people who watched Game 1 in America were probably all Canadian refugees like yourself who fled to the States for a better life.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I had better things to do than watch the Stanley Cup.

Like trying to get my Fishing skill rating to 225 on my Undead Warlock.
                    B♭3

Comment

What is sad, is that you are probably telling the thruth.
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Having grown up playing Hockey year round in Maine in 1960's and 1970's, floor hockey leagues indoor, plastic puck, pond hockey during winter and street hockey anytime, it is still hard to accept Hockey as a Southern Participating sport.

I am 2 hours from RBC Centre where the Hurricanes play, mid 80's and humid here

I remember when Atlanta Flames were an expansion team, Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion coached them and well, warm weather doesnt get ya in the mood for Hockey.

Plus, I remember growing up when it was something around 85-90% all Canadian players and an occasional American and an Occasion non Canadian-Non American would make it.

(Props to Chicago area for the memories of the Great Stan Mikita from Sokolce, Czechoslovakia)

To remember the Greats of Goaltending, Kenny Dryden, Tony Espisito and Bernie Parent yes but how about those tough guys that wore no mask?

Gump Worsley and Terry Sawchuk?

I remember watching the Philadelphia Flers competing for the Stanley Cup, Bernie Parent in Goal and Barry Ashbee going down to stop a slap shot from the Rangers Dale Rolfe and being blinded by the puck, lost his eye. He would die several years later from Leukemia

Ok

I love the sport of Hockey and have losty interest in years past, probably because living in the south with warm weather doesnt "feel" like Hockey.

I grew up watching Jean Beliveau, Bobby Hull, Gilbert Perreault,Yvan Cournoyer,larry Robinson, Wheatabix with Norm Ullman and Dave Keon, the names ring out making my heart jump, memories of yesteryear.

I was a Boston Bruins Fan, but respected many a player.

How many remember the flamboyant Derek Sanderson, even as a young man he seemed a little out of place.

I remember when the Vancouver Canucks Pat Quinn showed the difference between a boy and a man when he wailed my hero Bobby Orr

Ok

Ill stop now, not sure if many here remember these names or events

Gramps

Tough guys them they were

I share a moment of Nostalgia, Bobby Orr and "MY" all time Favorite Gordie Howe
                        Attached Files
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Just be sure to give us back the Jets and the Nordiques before you go.
                          Seconded from Winterpeg.

Comment

LOL when did the Nordiques go away anyway?
                            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Re: Hockey is no longer a major sport in the US

Originally posted by Ming
                              Just how bad was it... The College Soft Ball World Series which aired on ESPN2 drew more viewers.
                              I have to admit I was watching this.
                              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                              X