X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

Lazyness...

Well, americans are amazingly lazy, but it's quite a bit of a stretch to say that is the only reason it's not remembered.
      I learned about this event randomly, through a TV documentary of tyhe period. The information about what happened in 1932 is not repressed. There is simply no interest.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

I learned about this event randomly, through a TV documentary of tyhe period. The information about what happened in 1932 is not repressed. There is simply no interest.
        There is no interest, because it's be FORGOTTEN. It's been forgotten, because it is a blemish on the country and government, just like Tiananmen square is for China.

You can just as easily come to the conclusion that there is simply no interest in Tiananmen square in china.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

There is no interest, because it's be FORGOTTEN. It's been forgotten, because it is a blemish on the country and government, just like Tiananmen square is for China.

You can just as easily come to the conclusion that there is simply no interest in Tiananmen square in china.
          In China the subject is actively taboo. That is not the same in the US. There is a significant difference.

Comment

In China the subject is actively taboo. That is not the same in the US. There is a significant difference.
            What, should we wait another decade or two when it's been completely forgotten and is unactively taboo in china before we compare them?

It's amazing that you'll throw a fit at china for "forgeting it's history" but simply shrug and say meh when your own country's forgetfulness is mentioned.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

What, should we wait another decade or two when it's been completely forgotten and is unactively taboo in china before we compare them?

It's amazing that you'll throw a fit at china for "forgeting it's history" but simply shrug and say meh when your own country's forgetfulness is mentioned.

Its amazing you will make **** up to please your indignation.

The events of that day were never supressed actively in the US. They were ignored by those in power, the victims made little noise about it long term, no one cared internationally, so it became just another one in a long line of actions that get forgotten.

UNlike in Tianemen, were the government has actively sought to supress the memory in the face of lots of information being out there fed by international interest.

Comment

OK, but we still remember the draft riots in the Civil War. Does this mean the goverent is hit and miss at covering stuff up?
                I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                New faces...Strange places,
                Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

The events of that day were never supressed actively in the US. They were ignored by those in power, the victims made little noise about it long term, no one cared internationally, so it became just another one in a long line of actions that get forgotten.

UNlike in Tianemen, were the government has actively sought to supress the memory in the face of lots of information being out there fed by international interest.
                  The difference here is semantic, at best. China "suppresses" the memory through commuinst brainwashing, the USA "ignores" the memory through a democratic memory lapse. There is no real difference.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

The difference here is semantic, at best. China "suppresses" the memory through commuinst brainwashing, the USA "ignores" the memory through a democratic memory lapse. There is no real difference.
                    The difference is in intent. Who knows just how many events have been "forgotten" for all intents and purposes. That is the inherent problem of history-records deteriorate, vanish, people's memory lapses, and if no one tells you something happen fifty years before you were born, you will never know it happened.

I am sure there are textbooks in the US that deal with the incident, that mention it. I doubt there are many if any textbook in China that deal with Tiannemen in any way other than giving the government spin.

Besides, there is another difference. Tianemen happened within our lifetimes. That is why the memory is fresh. Heck, we all saw it on TV. NOt many people who werew in Washington in 1932, or watching newsreels at the time are still alive.

Comment

Annnd... what exactly 'happened in 1932'?

Comment

The US government used force to disperse WWI veterans who had come to Washington in 1932 to collect their "bonus" certificates redeemable in 1945 and had gotten violent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                          Annnd... what exactly 'happened in 1932'?
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army

Comment

Originally posted by mactbone
                            OK, but we still remember the draft riots in the Civil War. Does this mean the goverent is hit and miss at covering stuff up?
                            We also remember the shootings at Kent State, which are quite a bit more recent than the attack on the Bonus Army. I think this just means that people like to play the "Americans are dumb roflmao" or the "Americans are evil roflmao" card whenever a non-American atrocity is brought up.

Although we really should be bringing up Finnish atrocities, since Kassi is the one who posted the thread.
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger

We also remember the shootings at Kent State, which are quite a bit more recent than the attack on the Bonus Army. I think this just means that people like to play the "Americans are dumb roflmao" or the "Americans are evil roflmao" card whenever a non-American atrocity is brought up.
                              word

That was a tragedy
                              Attached Files
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Actually, I bet if you picked 4 random US college students they wouldn't be able to identify the kent state photo, and atleast one of them would say it's from 9/11 or something.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                                X