No announcement yet.

Iraq's My Lai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geronimo, I don't know if we're talking about units here but there are ALWAYS rogue individual soldiers. That is guaranteed, denying this is sticking ones head in devils butt. We know this to be true.

Unit level, that I don't know. Of course that's far worse but who knows. I claim there is always at least one unit trying to cover up things like this in every single war, country, time and army.
    It still isn't OK in my book though. Murder is a murder. Just like torture is torture.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
      Geronimo, I don't know if we're talking about units here but there are ALWAYS rogue individual soldiers. That is guaranteed, denying this is sticking ones head in devils butt. We know this to be true.

Unit level, that I don't know. Of course that's far worse but who knows. I claim there is always at least one unit trying to cover up things like this in every single war, country, time and army.
      It still isn't OK in my book though. Murder is a murder. Just like torture is torture.
      I cope much better with news of acts of depravity by individual soldiers. However this sure as hell sounds like an entire unit of rotten apples or at the very least a unit with multiple rotten apples and an entire lot of complacent bastards who couldn't bring themselves to turn in or at least anonymously tip off the authorities on the saddistic psycopaths in their unit.

Comment

Well, that's group pressure for you. You might get ... an accident if you're a rat. I understand the pressure of not ratting out, it's dangerous.

If this is unit level killings as opposed to individuals, that needs to be seen when the evidence and investigation is completed.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Re: Iraq's My Lai

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

This shames me as an American.
          Why be one then?
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Before anyone spouts theories, it might be relevant to their case, and viewpoint, to have a frame of reference.

Easy to sit and swill beer in an air conditioned house somewhere, and shake your head.
            Can they (US military) ever do wrong Sloww?
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Because the only other option is Canadian.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Re: Re: Iraq's My Lai

Originally posted by Kidicious

Why be one then?
                What kind of reply is that? Did imran say he can no longer ever feel anything but shame about being an American now? You're an american right? Every moment of your life is just brimming with pride in everything done on behalf of your country?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Iraq's My Lai

Originally posted by Geronimo

What kind of reply is that? Did imran say he can no longer ever feel anything but shame about being an American now? You're an american right? Every moment of your life is just brimming with pride in everything done on behalf of your country?
                  I think you took what I said the wrong way. I'm not ashamed, because I don't consider myself one of those people.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                    While it certainly sounds bad, Imran, I'd wait until the investigation is complete and the full facts are known before coming to a conclusion.
                    You must leave Apolyton forthwith. You have violated one of the core principles of the site.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                      Because the only other option is Canadian.
                      When you put it like that, it's hard to disagree.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                          The hardest thing for me is the way that this is like seeing a cockroach in a house. How can I tell if this is an isolated atrocity or if there are perhaps dozens of rogue US military units out there indulging in murder at their whim?
                          My best guess is that, at this point in time, this is just an isolated incident.

But guerilla wars are very difficult to fight...especially for foreign troops. There is the malignant lure of reacting to seeing your buddies killed in abushes by thinking of the foreign nationals as the enemy. Even tho you've been sent to protect them, the attacks come from behind and from among them.

Unless our troops can exercise an almost unhuman discipline, these types of atrocities will happen more and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            While it certainly sounds bad, Imran, I'd wait until the investigation is complete and the full facts are known before coming to a conclusion.

edit: though I doubt the conclusion will be pride in the Marines here, based on this story.

-Arrian
                            The problem with keeping hope at this point is that this is not truly the early phase of an investigation. This particular incident has been gathering more and more evidence for weeks now. At this point holding out hope for the investigation to somehow exonerate them seems about as useful as holding out hope for OJ's exoneration in his murder trial. Sure they might be able to get out of being disciplined but the evidence of their guilt is too substantitive for that to seem like an acceptable outcome.

There are just too many credible witnesses and too much variety of iron clad physical evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

Can they (US military) ever do wrong Sloww?
                              Absolutely. They can pass by unidentifed people and be killed. They make mistakes almost daily in that regard.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You suck, Sloww.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X