No announcement yet.

Mentally Disabled in College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If deafness does not equate to Downs, does Autism count? I'm not even allowed to ask for more than 25% extra time.
    Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
    "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

Could I ask for more time on the grounds that I'm really irritable, and exams make me angry?
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

no son thats what we call autism
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Can you imagine a deaf kid giving a lecture?

Can you imagine a deaf kid organising his discussion group?

Can you imagine a deaf kid speaking a foreign language?

Can you imagine a deaf kid doing a piano recital?

And yet, I've done all those things, Albert. So go stfu.

I have a VERY intelligent and nice deaf friend... I would NEVER put his disability anywhere on the same level as the retarded, i'm not sure why you would.....

Comment

Vesayen:

Speer was making a list of things that mentally handicapped people aren't supposed to be able to do.

I have dealt with that same attitude from plenty of other folks, and the ones I mentioned are just some of the things that appeared on my list of things I wasn't supposed to be able to do. Including teaching a class.

That's why it made me so angry to hear that arrogant presumption, that these people aren't going to be able to do these things, no matter how hard they try.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
              we're talking COLLEGE here...
              Well, you already have all those handmelon players...
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think most are agreed that every step that makes college more like high school plus is a tragedy. Honestly I'd like to see a large chunk of the four year university capability in this country go away, while the rest are brought up to a higher standard. But the critical link here is K-12, and it is a link that is failing for so long that it isn't surprising that colleges have turned to the retarded as the next group of people who now are entitled to an extremely expensive education they neither have the aptitude for or need.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                  or as we say here:
                  Reminds me of "Good Will Hunting".

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                    Statements of the blindingly obvious #6354198

If Speer can get through college, so can a person with Down Syndrome. And so can a rag tied to a stick.
                    Funny story, I once lost a scholarship to a rag tied to a stick.

Comment

a bindle?
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Just this once

Ben is right.

Speer is a tool.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

and you guys are defending this!

I haven't looked at the "qualifications", but I'm assuming they are mentally retarded. Which means they won't be able to hold a job that requires a college degree.

Basically we are only sending them to college so they can feel good about themselves.

I don't want people feeling good about themselves.

Comment

Dis- although most Down Syndrome afflictees have low IQ's, some don't. In fact, mean IQ results for Down's afflictees have been steadily rising due to improved teaching methods and a host of other theories.

Down's doesn't automatically equate to low IQ scores.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

actually I wouldn't have a problem with this if it was equal opportunity.

IE that normal students would have the option of participating in the retarded courses. And get a degree as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                                Dis- although most Down Syndrome afflictees have low IQ's, some don't. In fact, mean IQ results for Down's afflictees have been steadily rising due to improved teaching methods and a host of other theories.

Down's doesn't automatically equate to low IQ scores.
                                christopher burke as an example

Comment

Working...
                                X