No announcement yet.

Mentally Disabled in College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and for the record i have a learning disability having to do with my logical and orgizational processing and I do ask for more time on tests, but I dont ask for anything that takes away from other students education, either financially or prestigiously.
    Sure it does. By your logic you are getting a free ride, since you get more time to do the tests, which is the equivalent to getting free points.

They might as well just spot you 5 points on every exam.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
      i dont think that they are performing up to the standards of other students and are getting breaks in the grading policy because of their handicap.
      Well, that's the whole point of having competency standards isn't it?

What makes you think they are being graded differently from anyone else? I don't see any evidence.

I dont ask for anything that takes away from other students education, either financially or prestigiously.

From the OP:
      In some states, local school districts will help defray the costs. If they don’t, parents have to dig deep since intellectually disabled students usually can’t obtain financial aid.

and as for "prestige." Wtf is prestige?
      I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Sure it does. By your logic you are getting a free ride, since you get more time to do the tests, which is the equivalent to getting free points.

They might as well just spot you 5 points on every exam.
        if you equate time spent on correct answers, which isnt the case.

and terra, i think those standards need to be audited.
        prestige is not going to the school that passed the ****. like stanford or something.
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Hey, this thread's really drawing out the window-lickers, isn't it?

Failed to get an erection on camera again recently?
          cause I take out all my pent up sexual failure on the downs community.

dont you ever change laz
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

i think those standards need to be audited.
            I've got no argument with that.

Any standard requires regular auditing to make sure it's up-to-date and serves its purpose correctly.

The pupose of the standard is to verify that the person being tested can do the job. Doesn't matter if they have chimpanzee DNA, what matters is - can they do the job?

prestige is not going to the school that passed the ****.

Finnish pubs do not count as "educational institutions."
            I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

i dont think that they are performing up to the standards of other students and are getting breaks in the grading policy because of their handicap.
              Based on what evidence?
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

if you equate time spent on correct answers, which isnt the case
                Then why do they offer it if it doesn't improve your scores?
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

pekka would have a long debate with you about that last one.

and really i have no issue with people with mental hurdles attenting college. if they can do the work then they belong there. I belong there. I belong. There.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    The point is if they're actually incapable of doing stuff they'll flunk out.
                    uh...no

In 2001, there were 15 postsecondary programs for intellectually disabled students. In 2006, the number has swelled to 115. Next fall, two colleges in New Jersey—a community college and a four-year university—are launching pilot programs to offer a version of the college experience to such students.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

so my master plan of faking being...wait wait, i know one of you smartasses is gonna say "who could tell you were faking it"

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                        NO?!

do you know what retardation is?

- The condition of being relatively slow in mental, emotional, or physical development.
                        - an abnormal slowness of thought or action; also : less than normal intellectual competence usually characterized by an IQ of less than 70
                        - slowness in development or progress
                        Given that you didn't even understand what IQs were until I explained them to you a couple of days ago, this is rich.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

and for the record i have a learning disability having to do with my logical and orgizational processing and I do ask for more time on tests
                          I find that total bull****.

If I had 6 hours to do a three hour exam I would never fail to ace it.

I have concentration problems too. My mind wanders for minutes at a time when I'm working on an exam. That's just a ****ing handicap I have to deal with. I have strong points which help make up for it.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

thats cause youre smart krazyhorse and I'm not.

and I never ask for double the time. i usually ask for half an hour at the most, simply to check over my work, make sure its structured well, and is coherent. and at some point i wont need to ask for time as i'll become more efficient in doing the organizational things i need to do.

I didnt grasp a lot of that stuff growing up and its finally all hitting me at 22.

Comment

and really i have no issue with people with mental hurdles attenting college. if they can do the work then they belong there. I belong there. I belong. There.
                              Then the so-called ***** are no different. They belong there in school just like you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Then the so-called ***** are no different. They belong there in school just like you.
                                exactly

Comment

Working...
                                X